Bimmer auto trans. still bummers?

Page 2 of 2

Eh? Steptronic is a conventional slush pump auto and uses the torque convertor to start from rest in exactly the same way as any auto - therefore with as smooth a start. SMG transmissions use a servo operated dry clutch and at least some can be jerky.
--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

Indeed you are correct. I was thinking of SMG and the Mercedes equivalent whose name I am blocking on but which is NOT Steptronic. --scott

I've not tried a M-B synchromesh auto so can't comment but agree the couple of BMW SMGs I have tried were rough changing autos. Perhaps by design. But the Audi twin clutch/layshaft ones I've driven are not bad at all and are likely to further improve. The forthcoming BMW one will be good too I'm sure. My main concern with this type of transmission is the horrendous repair costs if and when needed. And that of course there are similar vast improvements being made with 'conventional' autos too. So the 'race' is nowhere near won. The engineer in me dislikes the idea of a servo operated synchromesh box in principle - while that same part in me enjoys the skill in handling a true manual gearchange well.
--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

R. Mark Clayton incorrectly wrote:

Ummm... not. They are made by GM - but GM in France, not the US and they aren't a US design. And GM is noted for one thing - knowing how to make automatic transmissions..