Bimmer auto trans. still bummers?

Eh? Steptronic is a conventional slush pump auto and uses the torque convertor to start from rest in exactly the same way as any auto - therefore with as smooth a start. SMG transmissions use a servo operated dry clutch and at least some can be jerky.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Heh heh. An excellent description.

Although there's no intrinsic reason why the twin clutch system should give a smoother pull away - merely smoother changes under most circumstances.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed you are correct. I was thinking of SMG and the Mercedes equivalent whose name I am blocking on but which is NOT Steptronic.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I've not tried a M-B synchromesh auto so can't comment but agree the couple of BMW SMGs I have tried were rough changing autos. Perhaps by design. But the Audi twin clutch/layshaft ones I've driven are not bad at all and are likely to further improve. The forthcoming BMW one will be good too I'm sure. My main concern with this type of transmission is the horrendous repair costs if and when needed. And that of course there are similar vast improvements being made with 'conventional' autos too. So the 'race' is nowhere near won. The engineer in me dislikes the idea of a servo operated synchromesh box in principle - while that same part in me enjoys the skill in handling a true manual gearchange well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)