blower motor

I need to replace my blower motor and need detailed instructions on doing so. Anyone have any websites on doing this? I found

but the beginning of theinstructions are vague. I need more info on accessing the panels thatneed to be taken off. They look to be in the engine compartment and theimages seem to be taken with the engine removed. Can anyone help togive better instructions? Thanks!

Jason

Reply to
ThaBroker

It's somewhat hard to point you in the correct direction since you left out the rather vital information like year/model of your BMW. We realize that the one you have - that's broken - is the object of your heart - but it may not be the one WE'RE thinking of.

On most BMW's you basically disassemble the entire car until you get to the blower motor. Your choice if you want to start at the front of the car or the back.

Reply to
admin

I suggest starting at the back of the car. You won't have to deal with the motor at all that way...

Reply to
Psycho

I have done this job several times on an e30. The last time it took me less than 45 minutes to replace the blower motor. I see that you have an e39 so my experience may not be directly applicable. Access to the blower motor is provided by a removeable panel on the firewall just in front of the windshield wipers. The photos in the link you posted all look very useful to me except the first one. I believe that the overlaid arrows showing the edges of the access panel are incorrect. On my car the upper edge of the access panel is hidden under the rubber seal that is installed along the top edge of the firewall. The seal is not glued on and can easily be lifted up and off from the edge of the access panel. After you do this, the extent of the access panel is much more apparent. There are 4 or 5 zipties holding wireruns and hoses to the front of the access panel. Cut these zipties. There are 4 or 5 hex head screws through the front side of the access panel that have to be removed. Then the access panel can be pulled forward and up to remove it. I believe that the photos that you have will be adequate to guide you through the rest of the job. Don't forget to replace the zipties when you get done.

"ThaBroker" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Jack