Bluetooth?

Hi,
I'm about to buy a BMW (2004) that's fitted with the bluetooth phone option.
The sales guy paired my phone and it seemed to work ok, showed the number of
the person calling me on the front of the stereo anyway. However he pressed the button that's supposed to allow me to scroll through my names / numbers and make a call, this didn't work.
I have a K700i but have the option of changing this for something else, but all the bluetooth phones approved by BMW are, erm, rubbish?
Any advice? I read something that said you have to have the names on your sim and not the phone, is this perhaps the reason why it doesn't work?
Thanks
Daz
I have a Nokia 6310i which worked very well with my E39 530d. I could scroll through my numbers on both phone and sim memories.
Cheers