BMW 1995 540i stalling and wont re-start

I have a 95 540i with about 190k on it. The car starts right up on the first start of the day, and runs for about 5 minutes [if let alone to idle, It will run longer if you rev the engine and keep doing so, but stalls if left to idle.] After about five minutes, the idle would go up and down then finally it would stall out. It would not start a second time unless it is left sitting for a while [about an hour or more].. I changed the crank and cam sensors, I swap out the idle control valve, I swap out the MAF sensor, and the problem is still there.. There's no check engine light. Any advice would be helpful.

Reply to
bigbm

Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and watch what happens.

Did you check for vacuum leaks before you started swapping sensors out?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Sounds like a fuel (or lack thereof) problem to me. Check for air locks etc. in fuel lines and that the labyrinth into the tanks is not choked.

Next time is stalls try opening and reclosing the tank and then restarting.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I always wonder about "swapping out". Can one "swap in"?

DAS

Reply to
DAS

(Long time Volvo owner) I'm new to BMW's so could someone point out where the air locks are on these? *g*

Fuel tank full? (Does it matter? It did on the Volvo when the in-tank pump got weak.)

Do the in-tank pumps get tired or do they just die?

Anyone here old enough to remember Vapor lock? If this were an old Chrysler,that's where I'd look. Do BMW's vapor lock?

(Probably not related to the OP's question...)

My experience with (Volvo) fuel injection, as they get old the pumps don't hold pressure. Since the computer wants to see fuel pressure before it allows spark, spinning the motor to start it doesn't work so well. Round and round it goes but the computer didn't see pressure when the motor first turned, so it's not sending spark.

But turn it over a second or two to build pressure, stop cranking then turn the key again. Lites every time.

Don't know if this is a Volvo only FI quirk, or a FI quirk in general, but I do know my '83 245 (300k+ miles) starts second click... every time.

Reply to
clay