BMW 20 pin to DB9 cable for E36 - Pin Out

Hello, Does anyone have the pin out for the BMW 20 pin (underhood connector) to DB9 cable that many sites are offering for the E36's? I bought the connector for the BMW side and I have a bunch of DB9 connectors I just need the pin out so I can make my own.

Thanks, Karl

Reply to
Karl J. North III

I doubt that the BMW actually speaks RS-232. The units I have seen pictures of have a little box in the middle and that is probably a protocol converter, containing a microprocessor and other glue chips.

My Maxima speaks OBD II and in addition a proprietary Nissan protocol. The Nissan protocol supplies far more information than OBD II and in addition enables the mechanic to adjust specific variables on the car.

I would expect the BMW people to have their own protocol as OBD II probably doesn't even come close to supporting the technology infrastructure built into the cars. I took a car in for a pre-sale inspection once and the dealer gave me information on how high the engine had been revved in it's lifetime and also whether the car had been peeled out, it had. I suspect that there is a lot more info to be had as well.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Richard, There are plenty of sites which sell a straight DB9 to 20 pin BMW cable. The unit with the box in the middle is for diagnostics. I'm just looking for the simple one to read the unadulterated info from the units etc. Any ideas where to get the pin out? It's for a development project that I'm working on.

Thanks,

-Karl

Reply to
Karl J. North III

But Richard is right. So... Wire it anyway you want, and call it KARL. Once again, 20 pin does not translate into any known protocol using a DB-9 connector. If there is some software you have that uses the bus data out of the 20 pin, I'm sure they will provide the info for you.

| > My Maxima speaks OBD II and in addition a proprietary Nissan protocol. The | > Nissan protocol supplies far more information than OBD II and in addition | > enables the mechanic to adjust specific variables on the car. | >

| > I would expect the BMW people to have their own protocol as OBD II | > probably | > doesn't even come close to supporting the technology infrastructure built | > into the cars. I took a car in for a pre-sale inspection once and the | > dealer | > gave me information on how high the engine had been revved in it's | > lifetime | > and also whether the car had been peeled out, it had. I suspect that there | > is a lot more info to be had as well. | >

| >> Thanks, | >> Karl | >>

Reply to
spare-me-spam