BMW 3 or 5 series

I am looking in to buying a used BMW 3 or 5 series. Any recomendations?
John
http://www.LuxuryCarForums.com

How many times are you gonna ask the same question?

Or advertise a forum?
DAS
"Jeff Strickland" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@ez2.net...
"Dori A Schmetterling" wrote

Yeah. He's posted rather silly topics on other newsgroups, too, mainly to give visibility to his own site, me thinks.
Cheers,
Pete
Hard to say, all depends on what you need want. The 3 series are generally a more sporty and fun drive, which the 5's are a little bigger and offer and little more comfort with a little less of the sport car feeling.
Haven't you tested any of either?

A late, i.e 2003- or 2002-built E39 530i auto, 16-in wheels, standard suspension.
If you appreciate all the performance you'll ever need (if it isn't enough you're not driving properly), superbly-weighted steering and a second-to-none ride-and-handling combination , this is probably the best BMW ever made.
Of course, if you prefer faster straight-line performance, with woolly, over-assisted steering, stupid-looking steamroller wheels, spray-on tyres and a noisy, bumpy ride courtesy of the so-called 'sports' suspension, perhaps a 540i with all the trimmings, or a 330i would be a better bet....
S R

I disagree, if you want a 5 Series with *performance* then get the same 2001-03 E39 530i with a 5 speed Manual transsion AND sport suspension.

but not necessarily better handling than a 530i.
As for the "noisy, bumpy ride" of the sport suspension, I disagree. Then again, what's "sporty" to some is a "noisy, bumpy ride" to others.....

The reason here is that the 530 gets Rack & Pinion steering whereas the 540 gets a recirculating ball mechanism. The R&P is inherently more precise ...

Not to mention several hundred pounds less weight.
R / John

Whoa, there! I think your gonig a little overboard now. He's talking used, but IMO the new series BMW's are in another class. Even the new 325i has just about as much room as last years five series and without the SP, rides and drives like a dream. I very seriously doubt an E39 will hold up in straight up comparison with the new three series and the five series has taken into another level that the old fives can't match. Opinions vary on the new syling, but when it comes to comfort, performance, handling and technology, you have to give the new series the nod. I've driven both and IMO the new Bimmers are just more refined in just about every erea. Don't get me wrong, I sure as hell not knocking the E39 because it is still one hell of a machine and IMO better than just about anything out there. It's just the evolution of the car has taken it to another level, as it should.

Luxurycarforum is not a very good site-I would not recomend it.. I would go with a 3 series.