BMW 3-series brakes in Popular Science Top 100 of 2005

or

The brakes on BMW's new 3-Series feature a host of life-saving tricks packed for the first time into one vehicle. They anticipate an emergency stop and cinch the pads closer to the rotors, so they engage faster. And because they resist fading during long descents, you can stop quickly at the bottom. They also squeeze the calipers intermittently in the rain to keep the pads and rotors dry and, when stopped on hills, hold the car while you move to the accelerator.

I have a question about the last line in the blurb... does it mean that when you are on a hill and you car has a manual tran, that the car will not roll back when you begin to go into 1st gear?

Reply to
Shant M

Subaru had this years back "Hill Holder Clutch". I would hope BMW has tied it into the clutch, otherwise, if your engine dies, you'd not be able to move back into a parking spot or back into your driveway, if the driveway is downhill....

Josh Assing

Yes, the newer BMWs have this (automatics and manuals). It only does this for a few seconds, then releases, so you can still roll back.

Reply to
Paul Martin

Why would you want or need this on an automatic? The engine idling already holds the car from rolling back on most hills and, well, you do have a spare foot down there doing nothing...

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Not necessarily. On my (other famous German brand) car, model 2001, the car rolls back on a hill despite the auto gearbox. Was very disconcerting at first since my old 1993 model (from same famous brand) does not do this.

I am told this rollback is quite common now (and is not a fault).

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

the anti rollback feature does work for manual and auto trans.

and it only uses the brake pad not clutch, the point is to save the stress on the clutch not ad to it.

Reply to
330xi

In my 6-speed it only works if the clutch pedal is pressed down. So rolling back can be easily done by letting off the brake while out of gear - just don't push the clutch pedal.

Reply to
Keith Kratochvil

The Hill Holder has been around for over 50 years, Studebaker had it starting back in the early 50's.

Reply to
randee

I drive a manual E46 and I can hill-start so I don't care!

But I would say it would work on slopes which are even too steep for the engine to hold on idle. Maybe.

Reply to
Paul Martin