BMW 325i reliability and maintenance

I own a 1998 toyota camry with 190K miles on it. I had no major problem with the car. It only needed oil change, timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, idle control valve and other standard maintenances. It is still going strong but a very boring machine.

I am considering buying a new 325i. How is the 325i reliability and the cost of maintenance? Is it easy to maintain? I am planning to do the maintenance. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Dan

Reply to
Dan

Not as reliable as your Toyota was. More reliable than many other car makes. Cost of maintenance is relative to many things, many of them are controlled by you.

Yes. In my personal experience, they are relatively easy to maintain. Doing your own maintenance will go a long way toward 1) making your car more reliable and 2) keeping the cost of maintenance in line.

High quality OE and OEM parts are readily available at very reasonable prices for these cars. It is primarily the labor costs, especially at the dealerships, that drives up the cost of ownership.

However, you should not buy this car if your expectation is that it will even come close to the reliability of your prior Asian car. It will not and you will be disappointed. Buy the car because you have a need to drive a more exciting car with superior handling and performance and realize in advance that this comes with certain maintenance requirement strings attached. If you do this you will be much more likely to be satisfied with your BMW experience.

You're welcome. Have fun with your choice.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

requirement

My previous car was a Civic and I currently own a 325i. I couldn't agree more with the above assessment. With the Civic, I had zero problems. With the 325i, I've had several minor problems, and one engine problem (ignition coil failure).

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

requirement

My previous car was a Civic and I currently own a 325i. I couldn't agree more with the above assessment. With the Civic, I had zero problems. With the 325i, I've had several minor problems, and one engine problem (ignition coil failure). But if I had to choose between the two, I'd still go with the 325i.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop