BMW 850

Page 1 of 2
I have a bmw 850i 1991 with about 12,000 miles on it. Mint Condition. Wife would not drive it because it was too expensive. Sitting under a cover under a carport. Any idea what it is worth or how I might sell
it? It's almost in "never used" condition.

NADA says US$19K low to $23K high retail, which includes $4.7K for the mileage. Sellers' asking prices for '91 850s (looking at cars.com) are between $10K and $27K, plus one goofball asking $42K for his. I'd suggest putting in on line somewhere like cars.com with an asking price in the NADA price range.
--
Dan.

Dean Dark wrote:

Dean,
The only thing that I would counter with is: how many 91 12 cylinder 850i's do you suppose that you can find with such low original mileage? My guess is ; not many. Supply and demand... find the right buyer for the car and 40k is not out of the question.
--
-Fred W

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:01:49 -0500, Fred W

There's a '91 on cars.com with less than 13,000 miles claimed and an asking price just under $27K.

There are 28 '91 850s advertised there, and the average asking price (including the $42K goofball's car) is under $17.5K. All but the two mentioned are asking under $20K.

840s and 850s were very nice cars in their day, but IMHFO there are too many of them still around to drive up the price of a particularly nice one to more than double the average. But as you say, there's no harm in asking. Someone out there could be willing to pay that price. The problem may be finding him.
--
Dan.

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:01:49 -0500, Fred W

    The right buyer for a low mileage car is a collector, and the car isn't seriously a collectible - at this point it's just a nice used car. Finding someone that wants to buy an 850i and just look at it in his garage will be *tough* and could take years. The price range quoted is for selling. A $40k asking price if for someone that wants to keep the car while telling his wife that no one's interested.     Some people like that kind of thing - the guy that bought my Rolls-Royce a few years ago has had it up on CCTOL for over a year with an asking price about $10k more than reasonable. Forget you can find cheaper ones in the RROC newsletter any given month - he's decided his is worth more and that's that.     A friend of mine knows a lonely old guy who lures visitors with his mint condition 65 Mustang convertible, which has been advertised for sale for about 6 years that we know of. People stop by, shoot the breeze, talk classic cars, and wander off when they discover his asking price is twice anyone else's and non-negotiable. My friend says he makes decent lemonade, though.     epbrown -- 2003 BMW 325i Black/Black 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
E Brown wrote:

Not uncommon. Once was looking for a BMW cycle - and heard about one owned by an elderly (and still riding) gentleman in his 80's. I made an appointment to see it - and was greeted by him and shown part of the bike. The right side if I remember correctly. The rest of it was buried under a mound of junk - which was probably collectible memorabilia - but it became obvious he had no intention of selling it - he just wanted someone to talk about bikes with. Apparently his wife - who rode with him - told him he had to clean out the shed. So he put the bike up for sale at a price it would never sell at (it had something over 200,000 miles on it) and had a nice time chatting with people who came to see it.
Nice old guy - this was about 10 years ago - I should swing past sometime and see if the shed and bike are still there.
centrum72 wrote:

That is a "niche" car if ever there was one. I see them sometimes listed on eBay or other online sales techniques, but I can't imagine that would be the best avenue to get the true value of your car. Perhaps the best option would be to have it sold at auction at one of the big concourse car auction houses. You will have to wait a while for the next big event, but they will heavily advertise it and get the big dollar car collectors bidding on it.
Oh, and as to worth? You did not say if it was a 6 speed or an automatic, nor did you say the colors (which make a big difference believe it or not) but I would say that the car, if truly in "concourse" condition, would be worth anywhere between 20k and 40k dollars to the right collector. I know that is a wide range, but that is how it works with "collector" cars...
--
-Fred W

on such a big engine, have you considered an LPG conversion? The slight loss in power will be more than compenstated by the lovely V12....
just a thought..I know I'd definitely do it........
Russ (www.e36coupe.com) wrote:

After an LPG conversion that car would lose half of it's collector value. Collectors want everything to be original.
--
-Fred W

850 a "collector's car" on which planet - and in which century??
ds

German vintage car magazine "Motor Klassik" recently brought a story about the 850, they even rate the E30 convertible an upcoming collectible.
Fuel consumption may be an issue in the future, but a BMW 850 and a box of electronic spare parts, stored away for another 15-20 years, could very well be a nice investment;-)
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
DFS wrote:

An 850 with practically no miles on it in this century.
--
-Fred W

Russ (www.e36coupe.com) wrote:

What an utterly disgusting idea! Go shame yourself in the corner.
--
BBO, '90 BMW 318i

well, given the choice of sticking it in the garage to have parts corrode and sieze due to not wanting / be able to afford to fill the thing up with juice, or having an LPG conversion (you can run petrol when it's converted too!) and still being able to justify driving it daily - I don't see what's so wrong?
It's not a collectors car, it never will be - it was probably one of BMW's biggest 'flop' cars, as it was too big to be a sporty coupe and not enough cabin space to be a luxury limo either.
It's not like I've suggested an LPG conversion on a B10 or an original LHD e30 M3.
Russ (www.e36coupe.com) wrote:

That is your opinion Russ. However is seems there are many others that have the opposite. Those would be the ones that would buy a 15 year old car and stash it away in a garage.
I do not have the personal wherewithall nor garage space for such endevours, but I would bet that this car will appreciate from whatever price is paid today (assuming one does not drive it much). By the way, parts don't seize and corrode in dry storage.
A car does not have to be practical, get good gas mileage or a marketing success to be a collectors item. There are many folks I know that consider this particular model to be a work of art, and I would include myself in that total. ...but I don't have a lot of artwork around my house either! ;-)
--
-Fred W

seems a shame not to drive that car.. or any car, no matter how "collectable" otherwise, its just a sculpture. pretty and all as it is.
keith
keith wrote:

I agree with you, but that is what "collectors" do...
--
-Fred W

850CSI....
Appreciate all the responses to my query. More info. It's red with an automatic transmission. I'm thinking I should take it to my local BMW dealer, get the gaskets, gasoline, etc, changed/replaced, and fire it up. Then maybe just enjoy it. Ron

What a great idea! A car like that is made to be driven, not just looked at. Do enjoy!
Kyle. 98 740iL 01 525i