BMW Accelerator jam car hits 135mph

Glad to see you know as much about autos as TV. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

BMW calls their system Steptronic. But this car was too old to have it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For attention, a 318 doing 135??? I doubt it. Bet 90% of the story is fiction.

Reply to
TonyK

It was an oldish car, perhaps the brake hoses were in less than ideal condition and the hydraulic fluid likewise so the brakes were spongy ?

Ditto

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

Probably had his front foglights on.... they're worth at least an extra

10mph. I thought everyone knew that.
Reply to
SteveH

Indeed - I don't think you would get away with flipping a 3-series over the Blyth roundabout at anything over about 80mph. Indeed surviving a collision with any stationary object at [allegedly] 135mph has got to be regarded as most improbable - a bit like the rest of the story!

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Nevertheless it can be smoothly and easily slipped into neutral.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

[...]

Brezhnev.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Why should the Brits get mad? The English might, but the rest of us Brits are ok! ;0)

Reply to
zerouali

"Clark Spyendchipz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

That's a chance I would have willingly taken - find a nice straightish section of hard shoulder (of which there are several on that stretch of road) and go for it. Well worth the risk in my opinion...

And what of the brake pedal?

Having said all that though, the fact that he hit Blyth roundabout rather than mysteriously regaining control just before it suggests that this was a genuine problem...

Have they announced what model of BMW it was? My mother drives a 316TI, with all the "Fly by wire" circuitry. As a computer programmer myself, I don't like the idea of my foot not being physically connected to the throttle!

Reply to
Martin Milan

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Steptronic is basically a means of overriding the engine's choice of gear... It's basically a means of giving you manual control of an auto car...

Reply to
Martin Milan

When the M1 was first opened, we were solemnly warned not to take our foot off the accelerator quickly as the car would become uncontrollable.

Reply to
Derek Potter

Blimey! You are an old cretin ;-) Whoever told or informed you of that is also brainless.

JS

Reply to
John Smith

Scenario: The man is driving for 60 miles with his car in this condition and has had time to experiment. He has found he can bring the speed down to 70 mph using the brakes, but not for long. It has dawned on him that if he cuts the engine he will stop, but has somehow got hold of the idea that this will lock the steering. Also he believe that cutting the ignition over 100mph causes terrible things to happen.

Ummm.. in that situation, wouldn't you just wait for a relatively straight bit of road; aim for the hard shoulder; jam on the anchors until you are below 100mph then cut the ignition anyway and come to a relatively safe halt? Surely that makes more sense than continuing at full speed until you crash?

Is there such a thing as criminal stupidity? If not, why not?

Reply to
Derek Potter

Well that was in an era of old three speed Ford Zephyr 6 cars which would be floored on a speed limitless new M1 when the car was built for pootling around at low speeds in a low top gear. The engine braking was such that the brakes were seldom needed to slow down other than to a stop and the suspension was almost uncontrolled by today's standards. So I would not be surprised if some cars actually became unstable on their crossplies and blamaunge suspension at that time purely from decelerating. Cars changed for the better later in the 60's but we are now 40 years on and no car I can think of would become unstable in anything like that situation. In case you think I am another old git for me to remember this, I am not 50 but do remember my grandfathers Zephyr vividly and climbing roads in top gear which have modern cars needing second gear out of five.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Less of the "old" - I was a small kid in my parents' car. I don't think they believed it either.

Well, that's OK then.

Reply to
Derek Potter

There's only one old git round here...

Reply to
Derek Potter

I think he *could* bring the speed down to 70 at one point but he did this until he cooked his brakes.

What I'd like to know is the advice that the police gave him whilst he was on the phone to them.

Reply to
deadmail

Not a lot it seems! Probably a civilian who takes calls for the police from the public.

JS

Reply to
John Smith

As can any auto.