BMW Accelerator jam car hits 135mph

Page 3 of 8
snipped-for-privacy@burnt.org.uk wrote:

Telling him he's going to be charged ฃ60 for using a phone whilst driving, surely?
Add pictures here
โœ–
On 13 Mar 2006 04:13:46 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Why would he be charged ฃ60?
Even mobile phone companies don't normally charge ฃ2 per minute, and the police have nothing to do with that.
If you are suggesting he might be charged with an offence, you should read the article, since it quite plainly states it was a hands free phone.
And the law has exceptions for emergencies anyhow.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
You have a fine personality..but not for a human

I had a Rover V8 3500 SDi by the time I was 25, and although I only had three and half years serious driving experience by then, knew perfectly well how to bring the car to a halt from its top speed (of 129mph downhill with the wind behind it*). This guy is a former [professional] lorry driver (why former? - he is only 25), so he can't work out how to turn the ignition back one notch and then control the car on wide straight dual carriageway (motorway during part of his journey) - tell me another...
* we took it for a test - the limiting factor was the aerodynamics, which caused it to scoop air under each side alternately.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:22:45 -0000, "Huw"
There's only one old git round here...
Add pictures here
โœ–

"If you've read about manual transmissions, you know that an engine is connected to a transmission by way of a clutch. Without this connection, a car would not be able to come to a complete stop without killing the engine. But cars with an automatic transmission have no clutch that disconnects the transmission from the engine. Instead, they use an amazing device called a torque converter."
So no clutch! A torque converter ;-)
JS
Add pictures here
โœ–

I thought that was Google's Babelfish.
Add pictures here
โœ–

have
that
though.
engine.
the
And what does a clutch do? It converts torque :O)

Add pictures here
โœ–

No it does not. You aren't a mechanical engineer are you:-0
JS
Add pictures here
โœ–

some
connection,
called
It does.

Electrical actually but I also did some mechnacial

Add pictures here
โœ–

Not enough then! :-0
JS
Add pictures here
โœ–

Enough to get by :O)

Add pictures here
โœ–

Then you should know that a conventional car dry clutch is a switch which facilitates drive or power transfer [or not]. It does exactly what an electric light switch does. It switches power on or off. Would you describe a light switch as a torque converter or a device for converting torque? No? Then neither is a clutch.
Huw
Add pictures here
โœ–

No it doesn't, at least not if not being driven by a learner driver kangerooing down the road. If it was a switch the car would stall when it was switched on (as learners find).

No?
A clutch like a torque convertor allows variable amounts of torque to be transmited through it.

Add pictures here
โœ–

The modulation of the switch is irrellevant. It is a switch which has been well engineered to smoothly modulate. You really know how to dig.

A clueless digger. An electrical wall switch can control a single or two bar electric fire but it is not a converter, it is just an on/off switch.
Huw
Add pictures here
โœ–

which
bar
No its not it has 3 phase open closed and variable slip.

Add pictures here
โœ–

Then it is not a simple on/off switch as is a car clutch silly. A car clutch is not even a torque limiting device let alone a torque converter. Give up. You haven't a clue.
Huw
Add pictures here
โœ–

two
clutch
up.
It converts torque at a variable range of power.

Add pictures here
โœ–

Why do you always leave the previous posters name at the bottom of your post?
JS
Add pictures here
โœ–

switch.
Give
No the previous poster does that.

Add pictures here
โœ–
"John Smith" <> wrote >

I think his answer to this proves beyond doubt what kind of person we are dealing with. One similar to the BMW driver to which this conservation initially referred to.
Huw
Add pictures here
โœ–