BMW Accelerator jam car hits 135mph

Page 6 of 8

Glad to see you know as much about autos as TV. ;-)
--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

London SW

chippy wrote:

Thanks, I have never owned an auto, too prone to accelerator sticking, key sticking, gearlever sticking and brake fade. Mind the phone works under all adverse conditions.
--
wigwambam

You may joke about it, but that happens all the time with mine. I just put a big pile of cushions in my garage

Ah, well of course phones tend to work outside of BMWs as well as inside them.

He must have been driving for half an hour without trying it, that's why I wondered if the car had a conventional key.

He says the box was jammed too. Odd, very odd.

The car had an automatic transmission, IIRC.
marc

He tried that, but apparenmtly the manufacturer had neglected to fit a clutch pedal.
--
Cynic

wrote...

It was an automatic.
marc
Bozo wrote:

The steering lock is just a mechanical lock isn't it? Turning the engine right off still gives the option to unlock the steering.

"I was in tears most of the time on the phone to the police..."
So he was on a mobile phone, in tears, and driving at 135mph?
Sounds like total bullshit to me..
--
Mr X

Gotta agree - plus the odd way he couldn't turn the engine off nor even drop out of gear. Yet it seems he really did phone the police.

According to him he was in tears because he was convinced he was going to die.
marc

It was a hands free phone.
And *he* called the police to say he was out of control, rather than them chasing him because he was speeding.
He claims he couldn't get into neutral, which sounds quite likely given it was an auto, and he thought he would lose the steering if he turned off the ignition.
He managed to keep the speed down to about 70 for quite a few miles, by using the brakes, but eventually they faded.
To me, the most surprising thing is that he survived the eventual crash virtually unscathed.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Wisdom is knowing what to do with what you know.
Alex Heney wrote:

And they did not tell him to switch off the engine by stitching one notch on the key? Or even stamp on the brakes until the car stalled? ISTM a couple of people have failed in the obvious test. Perhaps so much so, there must be something else.

He still could not get the car to stop by pressing the brakes harder?

It is to me too.
--
wigwambam

It was an oldish car, perhaps the brake hoses were in less than ideal condition and the hydraulic fluid likewise so the brakes were spongy ?

Ditto
Cheers,
John
writes

Indeed - I don't think you would get away with flipping a 3-series over the Blyth roundabout at anything over about 80mph. Indeed surviving a collision with any stationary object at [allegedly] 135mph has got to be regarded as most improbable - a bit like the rest of the story!
Derek Hornby wrote:

He could have put the gear lever or automatic transmission into neutral. Don't try and tell me that the lever and clutch pedal (if any) were also jammed.

It all sounds very implausible. He claims that the brakes didn't slow the car down but merely burned out. I don't believe that, having myself experimented with applying brake with accelerator. He claims he couldn't put the car (automatic, I think) into neutral.
The only explanations that came to mind were (a) he is an incompentent DIY car mechanic who had attempted to dismantle the controls of the car but hadn't connected them properly again, or (b) he is a raving loony/attention seeker.
waffled on about something:

c) He'd just shot past one of those nice speed cameras that litter that part of the A1 and this was the best cunning plan he could come up with the get out of the ticket!
Given the recent weather I'm amazed he couldn't just drive onto the grass verge and just sink into the goo before it managed to wind itself up to this alleged 135mph (E36, 318 auto... *cough* yeah right!).
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

1) He may have imagined the actual figure over 130. The indicated speed might well have been 130+
2) This incident did take place. Or are you suggesting it is an elaborate hoax?
DAS
"Dodgy" < snipped-for-privacy@earth.planet.universe> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...