BMW Accelerator jam car hits 135mph

No, I'm absolutely correct. You judging the driver by the way he looks is exactly as bad as assuming that a black man is a criminal by the way

*he* looks. Ergo, you (and a surprising number of other part-time *wight-ons* round here) are a low-life.

marc

Reply to
marc_CH

Sharkman BMW

Seems a bit quick for an helicopter response to his phone call to the police! Less than 30 mins. Or were they there already following a plonker driving excessively?

JS

Reply to
John Smith

Ford speedos aren't made by Ford either and conform to the same legal requirements as BMW ones.

Reply to
SteveG

They are mostly made by Visteon which was until recently a part of the Ford motor group. Their instruments are generally rather good.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The point is they both act as and are used at clutches the only difference is one is manual and the other automatic.

A clutch and a convertor is like wearing a belt and braces!

Reply to
Emperor's New Widescreen

I imagine the 135 is what his Speedo was reading.

Most of the 318s had a theoretical max around 125mph.

Reply to
Alex Heney

I have no idea, but the story in the Times said that he was tracked by helicopter.

Maybe it was already in the air for something else.

Reply to
Alex Heney

A car clutch disengages drive. Its primary function is NOT to slip unless it is a different type such as a torque limiting device which suddenly disengages upon overload [a torque limiting clutch used instead of say a shear bolt, but not generally fitted to cars]. A torque converter has no facility to disengage drive fully and is designed primarily to variably slip and increase torque. Neither does it have the facility to lock up fully to provide a direct mechanical drive without an additional clutch to facilitate this. The clutch can only transmit the torque that is input. These are fundamental differences. In an automatic transmission clutches are used to engage and disengage the gears. They are either engaged or disengaged apart from a short slip period as they are modulated for smoothness and convenience. The slip causes heat and wear which are undesirable so in some cases the modulation from release to drive is quite sharp with shock loads being taken by the slipping torque converter between engine and transmission

Fundamentally and contrary to your initial claim, a conventional car clutch is not designed to convert torque. It just transmits torque or not. Clutching is actually a means to disengage drive, not a means to multiply torque or vary gearing ratio. Give up and stop digging.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Show me any single statement that clearly indicates either airborne or ground-based police actually saw the car in question in motion at any time...

Reply to
daytripper

Re-read the original article. There is no indication *any* police officer saw the car in motion at any point...

Reply to
daytripper

A conventional clutch allows from zero to maximum of the engine torque to be transmitted. A torque convertor acts like a continuously variable gearbox and multiplies the torque by producing a lower rpm output than the engine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not a good analogy. Better to consider it as a variable resistor that allows the light to be fully on or off and anywhere inbetween.

A clutch which is only 'on' or 'off' is called a dog clutch and you find them in most motor cycle gearboxes - as opposed to the more normal synchromesh clutches in cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is not correct because it is not designed to be operated anywhere in-between except momentarily as it is modulated. Try driving and regulating your speed by slipping the clutch and see how long it lasts.

I have mentioned dogs elsewhere. The only practical operating difference between a dog and a conventional traction automobile clutch is in the smoothness of engagement. Both are designed to operate either engaged or disengaged. Neither multiplies torque or alters gearing in operation.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Try holding the car on a hill with clutch that can only be "on" or "off".

Reply to
Alex Heney

Telling him he's going to be charged =A360 for using a phone whilst driving, surely?

Reply to
johnty1

------------------------------------------------ ?There was another guy in the fast lane,? Mr Nicolle said. ?I tried to go through and the guy sped up. He wouldn?t let me through. What was he thinking? I had my hazard lights on and there was a helicopter above. I was inches from the back of the truck and the car.? He managed to thread the BMW between the two vehicles.

Note "There was a helicopter above".

Reply to
Alex Heney

Yes. Unlike a rheostat, which has a function that is more analogous to a standard car clutch.

Reply to
Cynic

No, a conventional clutch is designed to allow an intermediate, slipping position whilst an on/off switch has no such intermediate position. The fact that a conventional clutch cannot endure

*sustained* slipping does not mean that it is not designed to slip - if it were not so designed, the manufacturer would have fitted a simpler dogtooth clutch rather than a plate clutch.

An electrical analogy would be a rheostat used to provide "soft start" to e.g. large incandescent lights. I have come across such units that are not designed to be left in the half-way position, and will burn out if they are used as a dimmer.

Reply to
Cynic

Oh you can certainly abuse it in all kinds of ingenious ways. Nevertheless it is not meant to be used in such a way and it will hit you where it hurts, your wallet, if you do so.

Huw

Reply to
Huw