BMW Accelerator jam car hits 135mph

Page 7 of 8

The report says this is more or less what did happen. The accelerator was faulty, the brakes were unable to slow him down, and he couldn't put the car in neutral because "the gears were jammed" (whatever that means). Luckily his phone seems to have been a hands-free one, otherwise this could have been a really dangerous situation. It really wasn't his day, was it?
Rod.
Peter wrote:

It was an automatic car
derek.hornby snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com wrote...

One click of the key would have done it, but I can understand why he would not have wanted to do it - one slip of the fingers and you'll engage the steering lock.
marc
wrote...

Nope. You have to actually remove the key to activate the steering lock. Mike.
Mike G wrote:

Wrong again, that's not like... Oh! as you were then.
--
wigwambam

chippy wrote:

Are you seriously saying that you can engage the steering lock in a 318 without removing the key? Now that's what I call dangerous!
--
Regards

Steve G
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:51:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@crumhorn.org (marc_CH) wrote:

Let us just suppose there is any (ANY!) basis of reality to this hoax. SO WHAT if he DID engage the freakin' steering lock! He's supposedly (SUPPOSEDLY!!!) standing on the brake pedal already. At 130 mph. Supposedly with fried brakes.
Just how much steering do you suppose you'd have while standing on fried brakes at 130 mph anyway?!?
Sheesh....
Just *look* at this twit. He's obviously a fucktard who couldn't hold on to 130 mph for TEN SECONDS, never mind 30 minutes....
It's just a matter of time that they figure out that - from the jump to the "crash" - he never left the one cellular tower they found him at in the end...
day snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEyahoo.com wrote...

Yeah. And all black people are criminals too.
You are a low-life.
marc
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:15:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@crumhorn.org (marc_CH) wrote:

Your logic is as remarkable as your lack of a sense of humor. Good luck with that...
day snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEyahoo.com wrote...

No, I'm absolutely correct. You judging the driver by the way he looks is exactly as bad as assuming that a black man is a criminal by the way *he* looks. Ergo, you (and a surprising number of other part-time *wight-ons* round here) are a low-life.
marc
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 01:15:09 -0500, daytripper

So the police helicopter and cars that were following him are also part of a "hoax" are they?
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
A neat desk is a sign of a sick mind.

Seems a bit quick for an helicopter response to his phone call to the police! Less than 30 mins. Or were they there already following a plonker driving excessively?
JS

<snip>
I have no idea, but the story in the Times said that he was tracked by helicopter.
Maybe it was already in the air for something else.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Gun Control: Keep muzzle pointed at target.

Re-read the original article. There is no indication *any* police officer saw the car in motion at any point...
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:47:14 -0500, daytripper

------------------------------------------------ “There was another guy in the fast lane,” Mr Nicolle said. “I tried to go through and the guy sped up. He wouldn’t let me through. What was he thinking? I had my hazard lights on and there was a helicopter above. I was inches from the back of the truck and the car.” He managed to thread the BMW between the two vehicles. ---------------------------------------------
Note "There was a helicopter above".
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Do NOT look into laser with remaining eyeball!

Note that is testimony by the very same defendant - not from any officer. My challenge remains...
waffled on about something:

What was he thinking?
That's easy "Bloody BMW drivers!"
Dodgy -BMW driver :o)
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Show me any single statement that clearly indicates either airborne or ground-based police actually saw the car in question in motion at any time...
day snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEyahoo.com says...

http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionIDU &ArticleID82989 http://tinyurl.com/qsvjg
"A police helicopter tracked his terrifying journey and four motorway patrol cars chased him trying to help him to stop but none could keep up with him as he raced down the A1M flashing his lights and sounding his horn to warn other drivers."
--
Alan LeHun

Well, we're getting closer, but those aren't the interesting quotes - as they aren't actually attributed to any person(s) in particular. The interesting quote appears near the bottom of the second article - and as attributed to an actual official - is this one:
'A Nottinghamshire Police spokesman, in charge of the subsequent investigation, said: "Kevin was monitored doing in excess of 100mph and is lucky to have walked away with very minor injuries.'
As long as "monitored" does not mean "we listened to his account on the telephone" I'll concede there may be more truth than fiction to this story ;-)