BMW Accelerator jam car hits 135mph

Whereas a torque converter is more like a variable transformer...

Reply to
Derek Potter

You can have all kinds of refinements to the design including running multiplates in a pressure lubricates oil environment to allow more abuse befoe it wears. None of this alters the fact that it is not designed to slip further than to provide smooth full engagement. It is certainly not designed as a variable ratio type 'gearbox' which multiplies torque on a full time basis. In essence the speed input should equal the speed output from a car clutch except momenterally when engaging. Aren't people taught not to abuse clutches any more?

really?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Why would he be charged £60?

Even mobile phone companies don't normally charge £2 per minute, and the police have nothing to do with that.

If you are suggesting he might be charged with an offence, you should read the article, since it quite plainly states it was a hands free phone.

And the law has exceptions for emergencies anyhow.

Reply to
Alex Heney

Interesting study. I also heard a funny story once about British sailors. Apparently, they owe their success to ugly British woman they were running away from all over the world :-) NHF to anyone from "THE island", but the statement is not far from true from what I remember being there 11 years ago :-)

Regardin stuck accelerator jams; I'm having hard time to believe that there was no way to slow down and stop the car for 60 miles of highway...

-- nabolji auto je citroen 2cv

Reply to
Tomislav Buriæ

The steering lock is just a mechanical lock isn't it? Turning the engine right off still gives the option to unlock the steering.

Reply to
squigs

No doubt.

But the point is that it is NOT a simple on/off switch, or you couldn't do that.

Reply to
Alex Heney

A *true* torque convertor perhaps, but not the type under discussion which, like both a rheostat and a plate clutch, dissipates the unused power as heat.

Reply to
Cynic

Yes, really. There is a warning to that effect on the unit.

Reply to
Cynic

But that is just what it is. There are a multitude of drive clutch types designed for all kinds of jobs but when it comes down to it they have two working modes, on and off. Any intermediate mode or delay in transition from on to off or visa versa is purely a refinement to the fundamental operation of the switch in the same way as most dry driven plates also have springs to dampen shock loads which result from sudden near-slip-free engagement.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

By using it as an on off switch you'd not do it any good either.;-)

A standard car friction clutch allows the transfer of torque from zero to the output of the engine and anywhere inbetween. A dog clutch doesn't. Either nothing or maximum.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which I call a "fluid clutch".

Reply to
Derek Potter

"A police helicopter tracked his terrifying journey and four motorway patrol cars chased him trying to help him to stop but none could keep up with him as he raced down the A1M flashing his lights and sounding his horn to warn other drivers."

Reply to
Alan LeHun

Which is IMO the more correct term. Nevertheless we are stuck with the label that is commonly applied.

Reply to
Cynic

Since it doesn't declutch or clutch it is not a clutch. It is properly a fluid flywheel coupling or more commonly called a torque converter, never called a clutch and for a reason.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Note that is testimony by the very same defendant - not from any officer. My challenge remains...

Reply to
daytripper

Well, we're getting closer, but those aren't the interesting quotes - as they aren't actually attributed to any person(s) in particular. The interesting quote appears near the bottom of the second article - and as attributed to an actual official - is this one:

'A Nottinghamshire Police spokesman, in charge of the subsequent investigation, said: "Kevin was monitored doing in excess of 100mph and is lucky to have walked away with very minor injuries.'

As long as "monitored" does not mean "we listened to his account on the telephone" I'll concede there may be more truth than fiction to this story ;-)

Reply to
daytripper

Even just by telephone, I don't think he could have faked the noise of his eventual accident.

There is no doubt that he was on the phone, crying to the police whilst driving at 100+mph.

Reply to
Alan LeHun

Of course it clutches and declutches; the torque that is transmitted is controlled by the speeds of the two shafts. As a rough approximation it's proportional to the square of the difference. Hence at high RPM the clutch is fully engaged for a few percent slippage, at low speeds it slips like mad with very little torque transmitted. But whatever you call it, there is no torque conversion whatsoever. So if mechanics insist on calling it a torque converter it is only because they are ignorant of what it does.

Reply to
Derek Potter

Yes as I have reached sufficient depth to final bury your arguement there is no need to dig futher!! (see below!!).

"the sprag is a one-way mechanical *clutch* mounted on races and fits inside the stator" (pump, turbine, stator and cover are the four components of a torque convertor).

I rest my case M'Lud.

Better luck next time :O)

Reply to
Emperor's New Widescreen

A fluid flywheel doesn't provide torque multiplication. They were used on pre-selector gearboxes fairly common on some pre WW2 cars. And on the first common auto on UK cars - the GM Hydramatic that Rolls and others used. A torque convertor has a different construction.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)