BMW Accelerator jam car hits 135mph

Page 8 of 8
day snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEyahoo.com says...

Even just by telephone, I don't think he could have faked the noise of his eventual accident.
There is no doubt that he was on the phone, crying to the police whilst driving at 100+mph.
--
Alan LeHun

wrote...

Easy. He's from Portsmouth.

He He! What a load of Bollocks ;-) Even if true he must have being over the speed limit at the time! Probably traveling at 135mph.
I'll wait, and find out the true facts. Probably an ass hole who thinks he's above he law.
JS

So why did he phone the police?
marc
wrote...

For attention, a 318 doing 135??? I doubt it. Bet 90% of the story is fiction.

Probably had his front foglights on.... they're worth at least an extra 10mph. I thought everyone knew that.
wrote...

[...]
He just installed blue lights and a chip the day before. It's well known that those chips provide 50 to 100 HP more, depending on the price you buy them :-)))
wrote...

So when the TC's book him for 135 he says "well it felt like 135" and then produces a load of road test results etc. that prove that the police evidence is doubtful (certainly beyond reasonable doubt).
A quick check on an R reg 318 suggests that the speed (especially in an auto) might be slightly exagerated: -
Body typeSaloon Number of doors4 Number of seats5 Engine (cc/type)1796/4 Fuel typeUnleaded Max power (bhp/rpm)115/5500 Max torque (lb ft/rpm)124/3900 Max speed (mph)125 Kerb weight (kg)1205
PS BMW speedos are not made by Ford and tend to read fairly accurately.
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Ford speedos aren't made by Ford either and conform to the same legal requirements as BMW ones.
--
Regards

Steve G

They are mostly made by Visteon which was until recently a part of the Ford motor group. Their instruments are generally rather good.
Huw

I imagine the 135 is what his Speedo was reading.
Most of the 318s had a theoretical max around 125mph.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Put on your seatbelt. I'm gonna try something new.

The moron can't switch the motor off? What's up with that! I smell an urban legend.
BEtter than losing your license for speeding :O)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/03/11/ntrapped111.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/03/11/ixnewstop.html