BMW Alarm question

I have an E36 96 328is coupe... and it has an alarm.. However most tell me the car should beep twice when locking.. and once when opening.. HOWEVER.. mine has.. and has always.. (been over a year now).. beeped 4 times when arming.. and once when opening..

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP... on arm.. no change in tone or speed... indicators light up with the beeps...

BEEP.. same as the arm one.. but only once.. indicators light up with the beeps...

My alarm fob says... Sigma AC38

Is it working correctly?

Reply to
C.Read

C.Read wrote on Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:25:02 +0100:

No idea on that model, but my TOAD beeps twice when I arm it, or four times if there's a problem arming (such as a door slightly open, and when I first had it fitted the internal light switching off also prevented it arming correctly). It might be worth getting it checked to make sure it's actually arming.

Dan

Reply to
Spack

Factory alarm? Doesn't look like it.

If it is factory - that is the warning that one of the zones isn't working correctly. On an E36 this is most likely the underhood switch. Look at the switch on the left side of the engine compartment (facing it, ie - starboard) right up towards the front. Bend the arm on it up a bit so you're certain it is contacted and depressed when the hood is closed. The other possibility is the radio theft alarm - if you have an aftermarket radio - it doesn't have the prong coming out the back that goes into a socket behind the radio. The prong not only supports the radio - it closes a switch.

Since it's not factory - no one here is going to have a real clue.

Perhaps a google for Sigma alarms might be useful..

My Prestige alarm system also uses the 4 beeps for a zone open alarm and

2 beeps for normal locking operation.
Reply to
admin

It is a factory alarm I think.. well it says BMW all over the boxes.. so I am assuming so.. I think Sigma is the company that actually makes it.. bit like buying a Dell.. but it still has a Intel CPU etc... the BMW name is.. the BMW 2T..

BUT.. I think you're right.. something is a miss here.. I will check those points.. it has an aftermarket radio.. so I will have a look at that.. and the bonnet switch too..

Thank you

Craig

Reply to
C.Read