bmw alternator

i recently changed the alternator on my bmw 318i but the problem is that the light is staying on in the dash and i dont know wether the alternator is bad
or wether it is something else. has anyone got any ideas on how i can test the alternator or to check for any other problems? cheers!
did you connect the power plug back onto the alternator?(including the one with the 10mm nut?) is the belt tight enough? did you get a refurbished alternator? is your battery weak? Are the terminals on the battery clean?
could be just a defective unit. I had that happen to me and i learned the hard way. ( fusbox, wires......ahhhh the horror!!)

The simple test is a volt meter -- measure voltage, should be about 12-13 volts... Start engine -- should be a solid 13.8 volts If the volts DROP then the CHARGING SYSTEM is not doing it's job.
Could be a bad alternator, voltage regulator, broken wire or blown fuse.......
The best way to test teh alternator is pull it and have it bench tested... Any good parts shop can test it w & w/o a load on it...
I had an alternator that worked perfectly; but once a load was placed on it; it completely died. Everyone thought it was the voltage regulator... Anyway.. Check the voltage 1st. Could be a broken wire just telling the dash it's not charging...

cheers mate you have been extremly helpful nice one!