bmw alternator

i recently changed the alternator on my bmw 318i but the problem is that the light is staying on in the dash and i dont know wether the alternator is bad or wether it is something else. has anyone got any ideas on how i can test the alternator or to check for any other problems? cheers!

Reply to
sallyanny

did you connect the power plug back onto the alternator?(including the one with the 10mm nut?) is the belt tight enough? did you get a refurbished alternator? is your battery weak? Are the terminals on the battery clean?

could be just a defective unit. I had that happen to me and i learned the hard way. ( fusbox, wires......ahhhh the horror!!)

Reply to
M Power

The simple test is a volt meter -- measure voltage, should be about 12-13 volts... Start engine -- should be a solid 13.8 volts If the volts DROP then the CHARGING SYSTEM is not doing it's job.

Could be a bad alternator, voltage regulator, broken wire or blown fuse.......

The best way to test teh alternator is pull it and have it bench tested... Any good parts shop can test it w & w/o a load on it...

I had an alternator that worked perfectly; but >i recently changed the alternator on my bmw 318i but the problem is that the

Josh Assing

Reply to
sallyanny via CarKB.com