BMW crash worthiness

Looks pretty darned good:
"after a 24 yr old BBB (Blind Bleach Blond),traveling west, made a left turn into my car that was headed east at about 50 MPH Thursday evening.
Here are some pictures of what's left of my 1985 318i:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash1.JPG
http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash2.JPG
http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash3.JPG
I cam out of it with some deep bruises and abrasion from the shoulder harness, a cut in my right knee that needed about a half dozen stitches, and a hairline fracture in my right ankle.
I'm liking BMW and crumple zones pretty well right now."
-- Fred

Well Fred - No Air Bags! Luckily no passenger either as it seems as no blood....
Let turns. When I was out there most accidents or rather incidents like this were caused by U turns and those Left turns on the interstates as I presume this one was.
Now I have read in the UK motoring press that many states have started using the UK & Euro style "Roundabouts" or as you using the "Olde English" "Rotary".
There are quite a few I know of and apparently where these are in place there has been an 80% reduction in collisions such as yours and general accidents.
Never mind Fred.............. Now is the time to replace it with......... ?????
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Back in '89 I had good reason to be pleased about my 1983 735i crash worthiness (thank you Dr. Dieter Waldmann) - BMW's are very good in this regard.
How did the occupants of the other car do?
PS most large German saloons are pretty robust. If the rear occupants of a Mercedes 280SEL that hit a support pillar in a tunnel in Paris ten years ago at 75-94mph had been wearing their seat belts they would have probably walked away.
pltrgyst wrote:

Major intrusion to the interior - looks a pretty close call.
In most safety surveys the E30 came out very poorly.....still 50MPH is waay higher than most crash tests, and you're still in one piece!

Cripes - is all that interior trash OEM? And about that radio....

the UK: http://www.fabdirect.com/index07.htm I'm damned impressed that most of the passenger 'cells' are still intact even after such impressive damage.
JB

My 3-series seems to do OK in the crash tests. http://www.safercar.gov/Index2.cfm?myClass=PC&myYear 04&myMake=BMW&myModel=3+Series&GoButton=View+specific+vehicle
Goodness. Lucky escape.
DAS
"pltrgyst" < snipped-for-privacy@spamlessxhost.org> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 23:10:23 -0400, pltrgyst

Ouch! Poor E30.
Glad you're alright though... I see you broke the steering wheel with what I call the "Jeeeeeeesssssuuusssss!" arm brace!
Pretty impressive escape considering no airbags. What was the other car? An pics?
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Euro NCAP give the car 2stars out of 5 (not Good)
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/bmw_3_series_1997/15.aspx
about something:

I remember seeing the E36 not coming out very well either. However mine stood up very well when white pickup man decided to park himself in the back of me at 30mph.
One of us drove home... And the other had a space hopper in his face, no windscreen, radiator, front lights and a bonnet a foot shorter.
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Dodgy wrote:

I had a landrover with a tow-bar reverse into the offside rear door on my E36 at full speed and it hardly dented it - I was pleasantly surprised.
--
Sam

Crikey. My E39 is forever collecting small dents from things like supermarket trolleys and other's car doors. Far more so than any other car I've owned. I put it down to the steel being paper thin.
--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *