BMW diesel engines.

Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone, For the past couple of years I've been driving E-39 and E-46 3.0 petrol engines, but lately I tried out a diesel and was well impressed, so I'm
thinking about getting either an X5 3.0d or 730d or 740d. The thing is that I'm doing most of my driving on the streets of Warsaw in Poland ie. tons of traffic jams + major parking problems. I want to get them second hand approx. 04 model. All of them cost approx. same here. I want it to be relatively economical (for a BMW :) ) and am wondering what's the difference in fuel consumptions between all of them as all I found were the official specs from BMW but they're rarely accurate. I was wondering if anyone here could give me the real life results. The difference between petrol and diesel here is already almost 30% and when you drive around a lot like I do, it does make a difference :). I'm also wondering about real life performance ie 0-60 as in the city that will matter to me as well :) . Is there any website that gives all of these specs for BMWs? Thanks for your help Raphael
On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 20:28:06 +0200, "Raphael Karwin-Krawczyk"

The 745d is a real beast but unless you can really use the power then the 730d is all you want and more.
I have just bought a new 730d and boy Oh Boy it's quicker accelerating than my 740i V8 - Honestly and only looses out by 5mph on top speed (150 vs 155) and turns average fuel consumption of 38 MPG (imp) no idea what that is in Km/Lit))

that
of
the
lot
life
I have averaged 23.6 mpg in an X5 3.0d Sport over the past 9 months / 7000 miles. This is mainly round town with a couple of long journeys thrown in.

Am I missing something with diesels? My X5 4.4 gets 18-20 MPG around town with much more zip than the 3.0d would have. I thought diesels were supposed to get double the mileage that gas could provide. If we are only talking a 5 MPG difference around town, why bother?
As we don't have the 3.0d in Canada, could someone tell me the price difference between the 4.4 and the 3.0d? I suspect the care and feeding of the diesel is much more? Can't start and go in cold weather? Poor starting in sub -30 temps? Smoking at full throttle?
douga

Nothing wrong with cold weather if you keep the correct fuel in your tank. the problem is that oil companies "make" summer and winter fuels and the usual problems arise when you store diesel. It is not illegal to have a diesel tank at home - petrol is a different kettle of fish. Boooom!
Using summer diesel in winter will produce a thick sticky gooey mess. You see truckers lighting fires under the diesel tanks to get the fuel back to liquid form again.
Low usage vehicle get the same problems.
My 740i and the new 730d are neck and neck to 60 or 70 but the V8 pulls ahead slightly to 100 then they appear neck and neck to about 140 where the diesel runs out of steam @ 150 and the V8 hits 155.
Does it worry me -- No Way does it--------- so far turned 180 miles in and around town and not use 1/4 tank yet.
Wait till I get it chipped to 270 BHP and 430lb/ft torque. V8 s watch out.....
How about not assuming we all know which gallon you mean? Oscar mentioned imperial. Where does TonyK live?
Raphael:
1 US gallon = 3.79 l, 1 Imperial gallon = 4.55 l.
And how is Warsaw so different from any other big city, traffic-wise? In the rush-hour you get jams. Outside the rush-hour/s you don't...
Since diesel fuel is cheaper there it's worth looking at, but don't you pay some extra tax on the diesel car maybe in comparison with petrol?
In UK diesel is not worthwhile below maybe 15 000 km per year (diesel fuel costs more than 95 octane petrol....)
DAS
< snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Come on Don! It's got to be worth it a there is only 5p difference at the moment and on average you get a 30% increase in mileage.
My usual weekly mileage with the 740i is about 280 and usually I get about 22MPG (imp) and my average fill up costs 60 ish. These figures are not linked.
My 730d averages around 35mpg (imp) I haven't used it fully yet and I am not expecting to fill up every 8 - 9 days and when I do it should only cost me 65 for around 68 litres in about 14 - 18 days at the least..
Hugh

Hi, thanks a lot for the answers. More and more I'm leaning towards getting the diesel 730 or 740 :) . With performance of this kind, I don't think that I'll be complaining any time soon, although I'm only 28 so I might just look a bit like my own driver... but who cares :) . Since in live in Poland - Warsaw.. the country and city where roads are on the virge of being called disgusting and attroceous, I'm wondering if anyone could tell me a but about how well does the suspension handle this sort of places? I was driving my 330ci and I had to get my suspensin fixed every 5-6k miles. Then again, the suspension in the 3 series is very delicate, so I'm hoping to get something bit more robust this time :) Raphael

hand
be
wondering
:)
/
thrown
feeding
pulls
the
look
about
the
something
An X5 will have no trouble with Warsaw roads (I've seen them!). I use mine on and off road on unmade tracks all the time. As for fuel economy you should be 35+mpg cruising at 50-70 mph.
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:31:28 +0200, "Raphael Karwin-Krawczyk"

Whatever you do DO NOT GET THE SPORT suspension. There is NO suspension it is RACK solid Thump THump THump..................
If you must go for the X3 or X5 for rough surfaces but a stock car - 730 Se is all you need. Maybe you want more but you don't NEED more.
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

173 lines for that? Please consider trimming your posts.

Why? Just because you can't be bothered to scroll down. Or is it I'm too lazy to clip them shorter. remember MY post is an answer to another. Perhaps we should all try to keep it to one liners?
Never mind - back to sleep.
Hugh
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Because it's stupid and selfish not to.

Let's see... One person can take a little extra effort to trim, or MANY people can "scroll down". What's the better way?
Why give fuel to the stupid top-posters and their "I don't want to scroll down" arguments?

Wrong, obviously.

Tell you what Dizzy I'll stuff the reply where it's most suitable to the question and if the rest is crap I'll delete. the main problem many crap ISP and hotmail and yahoo etc insist on putting adverts at the bottom of each email so I'll cut those if I have time.
Perhaps I take every email and turn it into a book about BMWs - now why didn't someone else think of that.........

Since virtually *NONE* of us reading and posting to this group use an email account to do so and complain bitterly if someone does, it just became apparent that you do. Get a real newsreader, if only OEX.
FloydR (from OEX)

Sorry to upset you but take your beef about real newsreader to Fort as it is their version of a very capable newsreader that also doubles as an email client.
I choose to use Agent and it's a free world - out politicians would have us believe - but we spend an awful lot of time infighting instead of getting our "leaders" to do our bidding.
What is your solution to you problem with me using Agent. Whatever it is it ain't going to happen.

There's around town and around town.
Autocar only got 11 mpg *overall* when they tested an X5 4.4. And that's the larger UK gallons. On their suburban route that they check all cars on it managed 22. They have no figures of their own for a X5 3.0d, but perhaps the closest they do have is for a 535d which managed 34.
--
*There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.

I had my X5 readout changed to IMP from the l/100 km so my 18-20 is correct. Even at 160 km/hr the readout says 18.5 MPG. What year X5 did Autocar review?
London SW

My E38 740i gets 22 avg with UK gallons.
My E65 730d gets 36 avg with UK gallons
The X5 might be lower geared?
Hugh

What RPM do you turn at 100 KM/hr? I'll check again today but it seems to me I am at 2000. If I could get 36 avg with an X5 3.0d, I'd jump. Rumors have it they are coming to Canada for 2008. Also a hybrid X5 is in the works.
London SW