BMW diesel engines.

Page 2 of 2

Hmm! If I recall the 740i is around 1800 in 5th Auto
the 730d is around 1650 in 6th Auto again.
I'll check next time I'm out which will probably be Monday.

The X5 is about 1900 RPM at 100 km/hr in 6th. Is there a turbo lag with the 730d? The X5 has drive by wire and the lag is more that a cable throttle--it takes some time for the engine to wake after pushing it to the floor.
Many times I wonder if all this high tech stuff is more for marketing than true performance for the drivers!
London SW

The only time I notice a "LAG" is when I emerge from a side street into traffic - dangerous - but the pickup is fairly quick after about 0.5 sec.
However the petrol 740i does a similar 'cough' sometimes when it thinks about either dropping a gear or two or actually giving me 300BHP to accelerate in whatever gear I happen to be in at the time - roundabouts here in the UK are the major hiccups - I know you don't have many 'roundabouts' in the UK. Not wanting to start a discussion about traffic management but the only one I have ever come across is in St Petersburg FL at the end of the bridge going to Clearwater Beach on R60 Have a look on Google maps "Causeway Blvd - Clearwater Beach"
Hugh

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 16:16:06 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Correction 730d 1400 rpm @ 60mph

Quite some time ago - early 2000 according to the notes. But remember their overall figure includes performance testing. Their same figure for a Prius was 22 mpg. ;-)
But their test route - the second figure - is an attempt to give a good comparison. Official results don't. And each individual uses a vehicle differently, and towns vary.
--
*OK, so what's the speed of dark? *

London SW

Sweet, thanks a lot everyone for your replies. One more question, does anyone know the difference in fuel consumption between the 3 and 4 liter diesels? The price difference for the second hand ones is really marginal, so still wondering which one to get? :) Regards, Rafal
Check out the impact on insurancer costs, if any.
If you don't do many miles (say below 10 000 miles p.a.) there won't be a significant fuel cost difference either.
DAS
"Raphael Karwin-Krawczyk" < snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMneostrada.pl> wrote in message
news:46251dfb$0$13197$ snipped-for-privacy@mamut2.aster.pl...
Schmetterling says...

Saw your letter printed in the Sunday Times motoring supplement last weekend.
--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]
"Jeremy" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message