BMW DIS

I was wondering if anyone had a open FTP server where I Can download from?
Thanks! =D

On 2 Jan 2007 13:48:27 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Download WHAT exactly?
Sir Hugh of Bognor
snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk wrote:
[snip]

I thought how you used your resources was more important than the size (of your pocket when you are excited).

You mean like using a signature separator?
"-- " on one line, note the space after the two dashes.
Most NNTP readers will not quote anything below the separator when they reply. This will reduce the clutter in a large conversation where you've been quoted many times.

God man you sound like my first wife.....
I know that but only use it when list space is limited.

--
>> Hugh Gundersen
>> snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

Sorry about that.
I get the feeling you thought I was rather anal or acting like one of those self-appointed newsgroup police. If that was my goal I would have complained without explaining what you could do. From the past posts I've read I didn't know if you were aware of the irritation or of the remedy.

Makes sense with one post.
But when a post turns into a conversation they get a little irritating. They create repetitive noise that gets in the way of being able to read the post the post.
To me it falls into the same category as top posting or multi-posting. A one time convenience that can grow into a monster later.
Now getting back on topic, where would you suggest I go to learn about the Diagnostic system?
What is the difference between BMWs 20 pin connector and an OBD-II connection?
What is the use of an interface and a passthrough? I assume they are the same and just a method for the software authors to authenticate the hardware.
Can you get a proprietary P codes with an OBDII scanner?
How would you go about simulating a DIS or GT1 with OSS or freeware?

I have a Tek Mate system for OBDII (www.tekmatetools.com) and that will display the propriety P codes, however just the code itself not the description. All the descriptions (for my E46) you can find in the Bentley manual.
I was told by my independent that the BMW system is UNIX based hence there is little chance of getting it on a PC (like you can do with their TIS and EPC).
Pashlipops wrote:

Is that the same as what is at http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/bmw /?

Right now I'm working on getting it in a Virtual Machine (VMWARE) to boot OPEN UNIX by SCO group. I assume the program is not CYGWIN ready and is closed source.
But this lets me know that some of my thoughts are in the right direction. If I take the OSS project at SourceForge (when a stable release is ready) and add the necessary P codes and descriptions I should be able to compile something that can read faults.
My next steps are clearing faults, reading live data, and coding/programming control modules.
Any ideas or comments?
Pashlipops wrote:

As is rather typical when talking to mechanics - they're not computer wizards. The BMW GT1 is Windows based - not Unix. That doesn't mean you could run it on your home computer since it requires some very special interfaces in order to connect it to your car... You can buy it from BMW, $15,000, no support, no warranty and no updates.