BMW E30 1990 strange engine poblems...

Hi,

my BMW e30 316 from 1990 has a strange problem: when changing gear and giving it about half throttle, the engine sometimes stalls for a very short time (about a tenth of a second). It is so bad it feels as if the pistons got stuck. Apart form taht the engine is fine, does not use up any oil and starts very quickly. Then its back to normal. This does not occur if I give it full throttle. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this?

Thanks, Bastian.

Reply to
Bastian Scharre

Possibly a vacuum leak. Slim chance it's low fuel pressure. Not a problem I've heard of before.

Reply to
John Burns

Really? Sounds more ignition / electric control to me since the duration is so short. Ina ny case, certainly not enough info to diagnose it remotely

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Auto or manual?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought about a fuel pump bad relay. But I'd expect that to happen more often than he describes.

Reply to
John Burns

It sounds like you may have an intermittent connection in the ignition circuit. My 318i developed a very severe 'bucking' stall like this when my distributor wore to the point that it would whirl in the housing at high rpms and the ignition would stop working abruptly. It could be that the torque of half throttle is moving your engine just enough to cause the wiring to the distributor to short or open. Your car is old enough that some wiring may have worn through it's insulation or broken from fatigue.

Reply to
Jack

Water in the tank ? I had problems with a carb. Dunno with an injection.

"Bastian Scharre" a écrit dans le message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.dfncis.de...

Reply to
frischmoutt