BMW E36 (1997P) Broken front HOOD Release CABLE

23/03/05A Can Anyone PLEASE HELP URGENTLY..

I have a Bmw 318i Se 1997 P reg, saloon 4 door E36.

I cannot open my front hood as both cables undr hood came loose. My battery had been detached,as I did not use car that often.

THE CAR HAS 2 MAIN SPRING CATCHES AND A CENTRAL MANUAL INTERMEDIATE STAGE CATCH, Facing the front of the car, the right hand side SPRING latch and (middle) manual latches are open. The left habd side latch (drivers side (UK) is locked in.This is the one nearet to the primary cable from inside car.,,(I can slightly lift the RHS about 1/2 inch,but the locked LHS latch is rigid!)

I have opened both front kidney grilles,and with difficulty ,manage to slightly bend the LHS'rubber' side cover that encloses the void for air intake( and which is attached to a metal bracket(s)that restrains front of radiator and inside front og bodywork (bumper??) .

I can just see a matchbox size unit screwed to undersude of this metal bracket frame. My hands are torn to pieces trying to feel a release latch, and fiddling with screwdrivers in the tight space.

QUESTIONS:- A).... Can someone plese guide me an further as how to proceed to try to unlatch the LHS meckanism?.........if this is the way at all. B)...If i try to unscrew this matchbox unit, would it solve the problem or make it worse, C)...I cannot seem to find any slots to insert a screw driver in to unlatch it....as mentioned in some reply on here some dated years ago by Joe Block (ken R0 to Darren Lambart of 2002-06-09 12:59:56 PST (re "E36-Broken hood release cable")

Any assistanc and/or pictures of the magic spot will be welcome, preferably for this easter holidays,

Thanking everyone for their help...and congratulate google & alt aoutos.bmw for this great service.

Charles

Reply to
SERPICOMANmlt