bmw e36 rev limiter problem (kicks in at 4000)

I have a bmw 316 e36 as a second car the rev limiter kicks in about 4000 revs. way down on previous up to around 6500 red line (not done regular). The car drives fine up to this point, this is a real nuisance
when joining motorways or overtaking. does anyone know how to tweak reset or remove the limiter? or is there another problem attributing to this you could point out? many thanks
dvb wrote:

I had it on an E46 when the MAF went bad. If the computer gets confused it goes into "limp home mode". I suspect yours is similar.
thanks this may be it