BMW E46 Radio volumn stuck to max. high

Dear all
I was driving with my factory unit on playing a CD. I switched on my heating and suddenly the volumn of the radio went to maximum.
I cannot turn it down. I tried to using the volumne knob and the
steering wheel controls but nothing happens.
What would be the likely outcome to fix this - change the Head Unit? Any expriences. Is this a common issue with BMWs.
Thanks
Zuv

Sounds like the auto-volume control has failed. It might be possible for the dealer to re-set it, but the head will probably need to be replaced.
Floyd

You could try switching auto volume control off, and see if manual volume control then works properly.
-- Larry
zuv wrote:

YOU'VE HIT '11'! ROCK ON, DUDE!!!!! -- C.R. Krieger (*WHAT?*)
zuv wrote:

As an update: I left the car for 5 days and came back and the radio volume was back to normal. I have not checked the auto-volume yet but will definitely check that too. Many thanks Zuv
Being a tech as I am.. What happened when you turned on your heat or ac fan, caused a pulse in your electrical system. which in turn caused the processor in your radio to go nuts...sometimes this is a comon in car audio especially with the poor regulation of the electrical systme...It may never happen again or if it does the processor has leaky curcuit in it and will need to be replaced costly YES replaceing the head unit might be cheaper Bmw factory radios are a very poorly designed unit anyway good luck