BMW 'Goodwill'

Page 1 of 4
Hi I have put another post in the NG, asking about BMW warranties....
However, I am wondering what BMW's stance would be, if something went wrong with the engine / gearbox on my 745Li, if it were not under warranty.
What would they do, with regards to 'Goodwill'?? I believe that an engine / gearbox on a 78000 car should last at least 200,000 miles.....
Has anyone ever had any experience of BMW contributing when the car is out of warranty?
Cheers
Paul '98 740 '00 740 '02 745Li
I think the engine/gearbox on your car are going to be the *least* of your worries. You bought the first year of the E65/66 body style. Can you spell - p-r-o-t-o-t-y-p-e?
Electronics will be more of a concern. Of course, you could be lucky, but most first year owners complained about the electronics.
As for whether a car should "last at least 200,000 miles", well that all depends on your driving style and the conditions you drive in. Why should BMW or any other mfr, warranty or guarantee your car? Who is to say you don't "abuse" your car, e.g., shift each and every gear at 7000 rpm? Alternatively, if someone did "abuse" their car, should BMW "guarantee" it?
Further, ask yourself how do you maintain your car? How often do you change your brake fluid? coolant? transmission or differential oil? (Oh yeah, you're suppose to a a "lifetime" tranny fluid -hahahahah) What about things like water pump or radiator (you know its plastic right?)
Remember, car mfrs are in the business of SELLING cars. Why would you think their "goodwill" should extend beyond the warranty period? Good Luck with all that!

I think so.

I've had a few electronics problems already. Had things reset twice in 18 months.

The car is automatic, so its impossible to over-rev it. Also, the E65/E66 has Condition Based Servicing (CBS), which monitors how you drive, and adjusts accordingly. My cars are always fully serviced by BMW, when required.

All my cars are fully BMW serviced in accordance with requirements.

Because I paid 78000 for a car, and I believe it should have a better warranty than 3 years. In addition, I was told at the time of sale, that the BMW extended warranty would be 1553 for 3 extra years.... now its 1536 for 1 year!!!!

Paul Aspinall wrote:

Now you know the difference between perception and reality. You may exist in either one, your choice...

You were *told*? Hah. Well then, you should have purchased the warranty at that time, then you would have known what the cost would be.
How on earth could you (or anyone) receive a quote for this (or anything) and expect it to remain the same three years later?
Are you really this naive?
-Fred W
I think this vast increase in the extended warranty price is related to a very recent change in the law applicable to such warranties. You can't blame BMW for this.
There is another thread also started on 23 May but a bit earlier ("UK BMW warranties") mentioning this.
DAS
"Malt_Hound" <Malt_Hound@*spam*yahoo.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

No, because I only bought the car 12 months ago.... not three years ago.
Your tone is very demeaning... which is probably indicative of why you are not riding round in a 745Li.

That's funny. Do you know what a non sequitur is? I'm just curious...
--
Dan.

Paul Aspinall wrote:

My mistake. I was under the impression that you were the original owner. So then you actually bought the car used, which was when they gave you this story about the extended warranty? If this is the case, then that makes the whole idea of getting anything out of BMW in terms of goodwill warranty coverage even more remote, *unless* (and here's the key) coverage was agreed to at the time of purchase.
Here is the US it is very common to buy used (certified) BMWs from BMW new car dealers with an included extended warranty. But even those generally only go to 6 years or 100k miles.

I'm sorry that it seems demeaning to you, but I'm sure a lot of that has to do with your particular perspective. Since I'm not telling you what you want to hear you think I'm being mean. OTOH those that agree with your opine that BMW should cover your car to an unprecedentedly high mileage, gratis, just because it was originally an expensive car are offering "constructive" comments.
My "tone" has nothing to do with why I am not riding in a 745Li. I'm sure they are very nice cars if you like them, but to be perfectly honest with you I don't really like the 7 series cars (even the old ones) and the latest crop seem like bloated, over-gimmicked-up land barges to me. The 7's seem to be aimed more at the traditional Mercedes market market to me. In my opinion, the essence of BMW is in its sporting heritage, and somehow the 7 series just do not fit in with that. But I respect your opinion may be different and, as I said, I'm sure it is a nice car.
I also choose not to spend my hard earned money on an automobile that will lose half (or more) of its value in a matter of a few years. You see, I too buy used cars. But I pick them up when they have already experienced the majority of their depreciation. Of course, I fully expect that my BMWs will run to 200k miles or more. I just don't expect anyone to guarantee that.
Furthermore, Paul, your personal comment about what I'm "riding around in" smacks of snobbery. I'm sure that was not your intention, now was it?
-Fred W

Careful Fred, the thank you for "constructive" comments was in reply to my post where I clearly stated that "...ideally, life span of engine/transmission and any other component would be directly related to the price you pay..." I also stated that it's fair to expect a higher priced car to last longer than a cheaper one, but "...the reality is that you're not paying more for a BMW than a Ford solely because of the expectation that it will have a longer life."
I also said that I suspected if the car failed outside of warranty that you'd get little goodwill, which was actually the original question being posed.
At no point did I agree that BMW should cover the OPs car for free, to "...unprecedentedly high mileage...".
Neil wrote:

Yeah, I know. I thought your response was on point and constructive too.
But if you read his "thank-you" note it does not seem to have registered that you were disagreeing with him. ;-)
-Fred W
<snip>

I didn't read his reply that way. I believe the thank you was more of a comment about the relative level of politeness from respondents including yourself, even before he came back and fanned your flames by accusing you of being demeaning. ;-
Did I disagree? Either way it doesn't matter. You buy a BMW knowing full well that the warranty isn't as long as another manufacturer, but still go ahead with the purchase because of the trade-offs I mentioned in my original reply.
I think the OP was actually more POd that the price of the extended warranty had increased since the original quote. I'd certainly be kicking myself too for missing the boat.
Thanks again.
Just to clarify. I thank everyone for their opinions, regardless of their agreement, as long as they're constructive and well put.
Neil - you understood my response well, and as intended.
Cheers

Extended-warranty prices in the UK have been affected by external factors (recent change in regulatory environment).
DAS
you tell him Fred... he wreaks of snobbery, but he is a wannabe snob, he thinks like a guy who buys a 745li new but bought it used because he's cheap... hence the free warranty bullshit. You knew the warranty when you bought the car, too late to complain now! And Marcio made some good points, the more you pay, the less warranty you get, you have the $$ to pay the repair so you should not care, if you don't have the cash, then don't drive the car. Maybe a Hyundai would suit your warranty needs better!

Yawn...... Is that your best?

Is that *your* best? Tell us again how much the person who bought it new paid for your car. There may be one or two people reading this who missed it.
<snork>
--
Dan.

How much did you pay for yours?
It wouldn't suprise me if some people missed it. It wouldn't suprise me if some of the people could only just read......
<snork snork>

better
Most folks that pay that much for a car don't keep them much past that, if that long, even. At least around here in the land of Bigger-Better-Faster-More, that's the case. Can't be seen driving last year's model, you know..
I thank these people for taking the heavy depreciation hit that allow me to buy lightly used BMWs & Porsches at reasonable prices... Rather than having payments we get repair bills. See 'Takes your chances...'
cds
better

Could always buy a Hyundai -- I'm sure they'd be happy to accept 78000 for one and give you 10 years warranty.
-Russ.
bd snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com haute in die Tasten:

In Germany a BMW 7' series with gas engine loses up to 50% of his value in the first two years. Over 80% of these cars are operated as company cars, so you can take away the operation cost and the actual payment for buying it from your gross income (result = lower tax payments). In return you have to pay taxes for 1% of the tag price per month to cover your private usage of the car. The tax deduction is possible for 4 years, but the fee for private usage runs as long as you keep the car. This means, if you buy a 7 year old BMW for 15.000 Euro and run it as a company car, you can deduct 3.750 Euros per year from your income, but you have to add 1.000 Euro (1% of the original price tag of 100.000 Euro) to your taxable income per month for the private usage. This makes it very unpractical to operate an used car as company car, and it also makes it very unpractical to keep the car longer than 4 years. OTOH most ordinarily employed people, who simply want to buy a car, are not able neither to spend 30.000$ off their net income for an used car nor to properly maintain a 12 cylinder high end sedan. This makes it quite difficult to sell an used BMW 7' series company car. To add some trouble, according to EU laws, a company which sells a car to a private person, has to maintain a warranty of at least 12 months. So many company cars are exported to countries like Russia, but of course the russian demand is not endless;-)
BMW does not care for this at all. Those who buy an used 7' series are obviously not able to buy a new one, otherwise they would. So it does not make sense for BMW to give away expensive "Goodwill" goods to them. When I brought my 8 year old BMW 325i convertible to a BMW factory operated service station for major inspection (and payed more than 1000$), they even refused to give me a loaner car for free for the time. Now my car is being serviced by a free mechanican, I pay half the prices and he even lends me his old VW transporter to get me and my backpack from my home to my office;-)
Frank
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance