BMW 'Goodwill'

Certainly not on this side of the Atlantic (left). We don't even know what a Skoda looks like...

Over here, Hyundai is getting a better rep now, while Kia and Scion seem to have taken over the lowest spots.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I think Hyundai engineering is in fact much superior than what it was

3 years ago. It would be financial suicide for a company to greatly increase the warranty without improving the product. Perhaps the correct question would be, "does that mean that engineering at Hyundai is that much superior than manufacturers offering 3 year warranties?" Of course not.
Reply to
Marcio Watanabe

A new car does not *ever* need to to be serviced by the dealer except for warranty work, but, you must have proof of service by another mechanic according to the maintenance schedule. The requirement for all service to be at the dealer is an urban myth designed to generate revenue for dealers.

Home changing your oil will invalidate your warranty though.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

It's superior, but not 3 times as superior to what it was. The cars are not going to be failure free for 10 years. They're just betting they can take the revenue now, to build business, and affort to pay out the claims later.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

This is not true either. The burdon of proof is on the manufacturer to prove that the lack of, or improper, maintenance damaged the part/system in question. Changing your own oil (or anything else) does not void your warranty.

Reply to
JimV

Is that *your* best? Tell us again how much the person who bought it new paid for your car. There may be one or two people reading this who missed it.

Reply to
Dean Dark

I think we should start specifying to which country we are referring to. Dave is in GB based on his email address. I don't know where you are. I can say that *in the USA*, cars do not need to be serviced by the dealer to maintain warranty, and home changing your oil does not invalidate your warranty either. In other countries, this might be different obviously.

Reply to
Marcio Watanabe

No, actually it won't, so long as you have evidential proof that the work was done and at what date / mileage. Also, any warranty claims not directly related to engine lubrication the oil change question would be moot...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

How much did you pay for yours?

It wouldn't suprise me if some people missed it. It wouldn't suprise me if some of the people could only just read......

Reply to
Paul Aspinall

PractiCe.

You have been reading American-dominated newsgroups for too long...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

That may depend on the legislation in different countries.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

What is non-evidential proof?

:-) DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Right, it doesn't invalidate your entire warranty if you don't change your oil, just lubrication-related items. Similarly for other aspects of regular maintenance.

But what sort of proof can you give that you changed the oil yourself? Reciepts and a log book prove that you bought the supplies and wrote something down.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

Probably in a court if you had your reciepts and records they would take it, courts tend to side with the little guy if they can. But if you ended up going that far, you're going to be without a car for months while it drags out.

If you have a third party warranty like Lubrico it specifically states that home oil changes invalidate your warranty.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

Actually, a search for the word "practise" revealed the following:

prac·tise v. & n. Chiefly British

Variant of practice.

(Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language)

So, the Americans think practiSe is British.

:-)

Reply to
Peter Bozz

What the heck does that mean? Practice is spelled the same way in America. Or are you just insinuating that Americans can't spell properly?

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

That is exactly the sort of evidence that I was speaking of. If you have the receipts and have kept a log of your service that should suffice.

Contrast that with the "normal" evidence of service. A booklet with a bunch of service activities stamped in it. I would think that would be easy enough to forge too, given enough financial motivation.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Never heard of Lubrico, but it sure sounds like the want your oil change business... ;-)

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Well, what do you expect from an American dictionary...

In English we spell the noun with a c and the verb with an s. There are other such examples.

I didn't say the Brit English (as Americans might say) way is more sensible....

Dave Plowman lives in London (England, that is, not Canada, USA or even Germany).

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling