BMW iPod interface

I have a 2007 335i with the navigation system. I'm considering purchasing the BMW iPod interface. Anybody has experience with it? Pros? Cons? Other than the cost, of course. :)

Cheers.

Victor Martinez Austin, TX

Reply to
Victor Martinez

No experience but the info tells you that it connects via the CD player inputs so if you fit the iPOD unit then you cannot use the CD player (6 pack unit on later E65 cars that is)

You can get a belkin transmitter unit that will allow your iPOD to be connected via any FM radio receiver - such as the one in your car and with a bit of ingenuity you could hide the power connectors too. In this case iPOD, CD unit and Radio all at once - all this and we get paid too..................

Reply to
hsg

I don't know about the 335i, but on mine (which has TV) you could plug it in as the external device (at the rear of the transmission tunnel) and just listen to the sound.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Yeah, no worries about that, I don't need a cd player, all the music I want is in my iPod. :)

I don't have any experience, but friends tell me they don't like FM transmitters for their iPods, something about the sound quality not being up to snuff. I currently connect via the auxiliary inpout, and while the sound quality is acceptable, I don't like having to reach down to change what is playing. That's why I want the official BMW adapter, so that I get to navigate my iPod using the iDrive system. In general, I do not like after-market add-ins in my cars.

Cheers.

Victor

Reply to
Victor Martinez

Victor, I have a 2007 X3 and use the aux input for my MP3 player (Not an ipod). I have used the FM transmitters and they are marginal at best. Here in New York City, there are precious few empty FM stations so the tranmitter is constantly interupted by broadcast stations. The AUX input works fine although I have to have the MP3 player up quite loud for it to be heard on the stereo. Work pretty good but I have to remember to turn the mp3 player off when I stop the car (I listen to audiobooks and don't want to lose my place int he story). I have also found that the CD player will work with mp3 format CDs so you can fit a whole lot more music on a "data" cd and the stereo will play it just fine as opposed to burning the music as an "Traditional" audio CD. HTH S

Reply to
Squat

In 6 months I'll order mine with the USD interface which the dealer says is intelligent in that you can control the ipod from the car.

Cost is high because of extra features...so I was told.

-- John Perry

John Perry

I have the iPod interface on my E46. The interface was installed by the dealer in January of 2005.

I like it. I like it a lot. Sound quality is excellent. I've played some high-bitrate uncompressed music, and I was quite surprised at the quality of the sound the H/K sound system could provide.

The iPod interface uses the CD-changer inputs and controls. So you get control of five playlists on your iPod. You name those playlists BMW1 through BMW5 (anything after the first four characters is ignored, and can be used for further identification. I have a playlist "BMW2 - Pink Floyd"). The sixth "CD" in the "changer" is "all the songs on the iPod".

The radio does not display the song info on the radio display (I think the radio in the current 3-series does).

The ability to change songs and volume from the steering wheel is nice (though the steering wheel controls on my E46 have all but died).

The interface plug is in the glove box, so the iPod stays out of sight.

Reply to
bjn