BMW Keeps Stalling

Hi All, Do you know why my 323i SE 1999, keeps stalling. It's very wired what happens, in the morning when the car is cold, the car seems to idle ok,
but as it warms up, it will now and again stall or just cut out as im about to stop the car with my foot on the cluch. I did have the idling valve changed but this was not the problem. Do any of you experts have any idea of what the problem might be. Many thanks in advance Andrew
I believe this was one of the symptoms when my 540i had a failing crank sensor or cam position sensor.

Yup - the crank position sensor on my E39 did this when it got hot. But threw up the appropriate code.
--
*Sometimes I wake up grumpy; Other times I let him sleep.

my_beemer wrote:

Definetely sounds like the Crankshaft/Cam position Sensor cos I had the same problem which left me thinking the engine was about to die permanently. Very worrying though and the worst part is, it is a very very very very very common problem on some beemers. I think in the USA it was actually a recall item due to it's relation to emission standards or something, so it was replaced free. In the UK I don't know if it is a recall item or not, if it is a recall item.. I'll go kick seven seas out of my stealer..oops dealer.cos the dealer charges alot for the job, if u can get a good independent then consider it.,
ChrisJ wrote:

Chris,
I have 97 Z3; was experiencing the same issues. Was instructed by my father, a retired auto mechanic to put 2 or 3 drops of 3-in-1 oil on the key.
I was skeptical to say the least. After doing so, my car stalling issue has not occured anymore.
I am astonished, but it worked!
Best,
jb

No proper mechanic uses 3-in-1 oil for anything. Even a squeaky garden gate.
--
*It's o.k. to laugh during sex..just don't point!

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 18:46:40 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

But I do use 3-in-1 or its generic equivalent on the oilstone that I use to sharpen my plane blades and wood chisels.
:-)
--
Dan.

[sucks teeth] Water. ;-)
--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:31:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Nah. It takes too long to get the stone wet each time.
I also grind plane blades close enough to 25 by eye, and I do a really mean 120 grit job on kitchen knives. Carbon steel ones, of course. There are no stainless steel knives in *my* kitchen.
Hell, it was only a few years ago that I finally accepted the synchromesh gearbox.
--
Dan.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not on an oilstone. A whetstone perhaps...
--
-Fred W

Dave you are a thorn in alot of peoples side.
London SW

Well, you don't oil a key. The oil gets into the tumblers and in combination with dirt causes them to stick. The correct lubricant for a key is graphite. If you haven't got the powdered type use a pencil.
But 3 in 1 oil isn't the correct *oil* for anything. Perhaps the easiest source of a good light machine oil is sewing machine oil.

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.

BK wrote:

Well, perhaps he is, but in this instance Dave is correct. You do not want any oil in the tumblers of a lock. It will only make matters worse in the long run. You can use a cleaner spray to get the oil out and then a dry lubricant such as graphite powder or such.
But in any case, lubricating the lock will have absolutely nothing to do with the OPs problem...
--
-Fred W