BMW Navigation System & iDrive

Is there any chance that BMW will scrap its nav system for one that doesn't look like a beta version of the Lexus system? The workflow logic of the nav inputs is so idiotic, I can't believe BMW uses it. Also any chance that they will scrap the idrive system for one that actually doesn't piss me off everytime I use it?

Reply to
Mack

"Mack" haute in die Tasten:

I guess you asked the wrong people the wrong questions. AFAIK no managing director of the BMW engineering dept. is around in this newsgroup, so nobody can reasonably anwer your question why BMW dares to use old crappy navigation systems made in Uzbhekistan instead of the state of the art systems Lexus uses.

One hint: At least over here in Germany you can buy the E90 in one version with and one without navi system. The latter has a very clean dashboard without the big LCD screen in the middle. Just buy a small TomTom Go instead and save a lot of money;-)

Merry christmas

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

You might be right - I have never driven a Lexus as I want a car that runs on diesel - where the 530d fits in perfectly.

I do not say that BMW is the perfect car.. However.. If you want something changed it might be an idea to explain what it is that you do not like. I guess there is no much point in making BMW a copy of Lexus.

Having said that, if Lexus at some point will produce a good performing diesel engine/or/when the hybrid technology is matured and show the same economy as my BMW running on diesel I would definately be tempted to try out a Lexus as I am in no doubt that they make very fine cars as well.

Well.. If we start off telling what type of improvements we want it would be a good start. There's no much point in yelling "it does not work as I like it - fix it" - if you do not say what is wrong. Like I said - I know nothing about how Lexus' Nav and other systems work.

** Lars
Reply to
Lars Knudsen

Lexus have indeed started selling diesels in the UK and elsewhere. Road tests say it's not as good as the BMW - or Jaguar - diesels.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes and like the Jaguar X Type there is no automatic gearbox option on the Lexus Diesel

Reply to
Steve Garey

Ahhh.. That is sort of "must-have" in my book. No more playing around with the gear-stick and clutch in heavy traffic.

** Lars
Reply to
Lars Knudsen

"Dave Plowman (News)" haute in die Tasten:

AFAIK the new small Lexus uses a 2.2 litre 4 cylinder Diesel engine known from the current Toyota Avensis. Although this engine is said to be a good one, for sure there is a big difference to the big 6 cylinder Diesels used by Jaguar/Peugeot and BMW

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

The test I read said it wasn't as good as the BMW four cylinder diesels either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mack,

Please excuse Lars, don't you love when you make a legitimate comment / complaint and someone responds like that! If he's can read he should already know that he's most likely in the minority of people when he says he likes the I-Drive. He's not the only one but you are part of a huge # of people who believe that BMW could have done better and should do better. Seems to me that it's similar to the Bangle erra styling, BMW has taken the GWB marketting training (you're either with us or you're against us!). Doesn't make much sense to a thinking person.

Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Actually I am sure people will get used to the new BMW styling rapidly - the E46 already looks outdated! ....

However, if you use one for a while and get used to the actions (turn the wheel rather than drag the "cursor down" and so on) it will become very useable.

I suspect the equivalent English phrase is "if you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen! (I suspect you knew that anyway).

Roger

Reply to
Roger Matthews

Yes exactly. I do not demand that there is no gain from getting used to the car.

Also, I do actually read the manual and spend some time getting used to how to operate the features in the car the best way. I simply consider it as part of the fun of buying a new car....

True... That is exactly it!

mmmm.. Maybe... I think I have heard it before... But thank you for letting me know. Theese sayings, I think, are some of the most difficult to learn in foreign languages. Anyway, the bakery-version is what works in Danish should you ever need that :o)

** Lars
Reply to
Lars Knudsen