BMW Only good for 5 Years?

Page 2 of 2

As none of the post 2006 models have yet required any out of warranty repairs, I'd find a new BMW mechanic if I were you. Either he is reading tea leaves to predict the future or perhaps he gets a kickback on any extended maintenance/warranty contracts his dealership sells.
Tom

How about any 2004 owners? How many times have you been into the shop this year?
I have a recent 3 series and wondering what's going to happen in year 5-10. I know my last car (non-BMW) had some repairs, but didn't get bad until year 8 when so much went wrong!

I don't believe I'd let that schmo work on *my* car...
-- Larry

BMW dealers don't use mechanics - only fitters.
--
*Vegetarians taste great*

Troll ---

Yes.
Select your 330 3 Series convertible, drive it for five years, then leave it at my house. I'll take care of the shipping and port charges to get rid of it. Be sure to sign the pink slip and leave it and the key sin the glove box so I can take care of the legal documents for you. Maybe you could make it easier for me by getting a power of attorney ...
Seriously, Buy a Honda.

I have had five 7 series, often bought young, but disposed of after many years and miles. I PX'ed the third one after eleven years, with approaching 200k on the clock when it was 17 years old. It passed an MOT without work days later.
IMO there is a bit of vulnerability to age with all the fancy electronics in the newer ones, but I would still expect decades rather than five years.
Acquired Disposal Condition on disposal 735i 3 4 high mileage - worn 735iSE 3 6 accident write off 735iASE 6 17 passed MOT without work 740i 7 13 OK except cold start (Nikasil) 735i (V8) 6 - (now 9) no current faults
You have to explain to them what the MoT is...
DAS
"R. Mark Clayton" < snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

With about $4K (extended service plan and extended warranty), BMW will cover all maintenance and repairs to 6 yrs/100K.
I have a 2003 E46 manual transmission with no options other than the sunroof. The car currently has about 138K miles. Since coming out of the warranty, I've had: - Oil service. - Inspection II. - Driver/passenger power window regulators replaced. - Cooling system replaced (thermostat, hoses, radiator) - thermostat failed and the rest was recommended by the shop as preventative maintenance because they claimed they were susceptible to cracking. - Drive shaft flex disc replace - it was cracked.
All of that set me back about $4K. On the watch list are a leaking shock absorber, and wearing control arms.
But the car drives great and I try to keep it in good condition because it's my only car and I drive a lot (~25K mi/year).
My plan was to replace it after 7 years (which would be the end of this year), but since it's running good, I think I'm going to keep it. Plus there are a lot of things about the E90 that I don't like (dash, controls for seat adjustment, cup holders, etc.).
The mechanic told me that the transmission on the manual cars lasts forever; if it was an auto, he said he'd have recommended I sell it.
Anyway, for now I'm keeping it, and keeping my fingers crossed as well.
Just my story...I think the cars are designed to last long but they are expensive to fix. Not $5K/year expensive, but more expensive than an economy car (which is to be expected).
Anoop