BMW Owner: I Can Drive Into Restaurants Because My Car Is Expensive

A chap named Harold Cue, age 52, was just going about minding his own business on Cape Cod this week when he happened to drive into Wimpy's, a local seafood
joint. His excuse? He owns a $100,000 car, and therefore will do whatever he wants. Read more... Read More: http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/jalopnik/full/~3/QikA18qkKWA/bmw-owner-i-can-drive-into-restaurants-because-my-car-492168678
----------------------------------- BMW NewsHub: Latest auto news sourced from websites, portals and blogs http://www.carshops247.co.uk/news/BMW.html

on Cape Cod this week when he happened to drive into Wimpy's, a local seafood joint. His excuse? He owns a $100,000 car, and therefore will do whatever he wants. Read more...

No, I don't think it's worth $100,000 anymore. Maybe not even $100. --scott

A 1993 325i - only about $1,000 before he crashed it.

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message wrote:

A 1993 325i - only about $1,000 before he crashed it.
Perhaps he had just spent a bundle on repairs. My assistant has a 3 series with about 150k miles on it and the repair bills are unbelievable.

I don't know what he has spent in the past on repairs, but it sure looks like he is about to spend a lot on them. --scott

On 07/05/2013 21:18, tww1491 wrote:

Really? I was thinking of buying something similar on the loose/flawed logic that repairs would be offset by low depreciation. So in my case c.$3000 pa. Of course I'd hope it'd cost a lot less than that to keep on the road . . .
Rob

If you do your own regular maintenance, by all means do it. But be aware that you're in for more regular maintenance than a Japanese car... things like regular replacement of control arm bushings and valve adjustment that you might not be used to doing. Also there are things you will need to constantly keep an eye on, like the cooling system.
These cars become very expensive very fast when people neglect that maintenance, but as long as you keep up with it, it's not bad. And, if you're paying some dealer $120/hr to do it for you instead of popping the valve cover in the parking lot during your lunch break at work, I could see that becoming expensive too. But I think you're crazy to pay that sort of money for something you can do in half an hour with a couple wrenches and a feeler gauge.
But... if you do your own regular maintenance, these are great cars, and they are easy and fun cars to work on. Even by 1993 there was still room to work inside the engine compartment, and the quality of the metal means you won't be swearing at rusty parts quite so much (especially if you did the maintenance last time and assembled everything with anti-seize like the manual says to do). --scott

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message wrote:

If you do your own regular maintenance, by all means do it. But be aware that you're in for more regular maintenance than a Japanese car... things like regular replacement of control arm bushings and valve adjustment that you might not be used to doing. Also there are things you will need to constantly keep an eye on, like the cooling system.
These cars become very expensive very fast when people neglect that maintenance, but as long as you keep up with it, it's not bad. And, if you're paying some dealer $120/hr to do it for you instead of popping the valve cover in the parking lot during your lunch break at work, I could see that becoming expensive too. But I think you're crazy to pay that sort of money for something you can do in half an hour with a couple wrenches and a feeler gauge.
But... if you do your own regular maintenance, these are great cars, and they are easy and fun cars to work on. Even by 1993 there was still room to work inside the engine compartment, and the quality of the metal means you won't be swearing at rusty parts quite so much (especially if you did the maintenance last time and assembled everything with anti-seize like the manual says to do). --scott ---------------------- Reply: Older cars without all the plastic covering everything are a lot easier to work on for sure. A horror though, was a Sunbeam Tiger I had in the 60s where the 4,2 ltr Ford V8 was crammed into what used to be for a small I 4.