BMW radio code problem

I disconnected my battery on my '97 BMW 318ti, it asked for a code in order to work my radio after that. I forgot the code so I entered a bunch of different numbers before finding the right code. When I found and entered the right code the radio still won't work. I tried diconnecting the battery again and then trying the right code but that won't work. What should I do?

Reply to
ecgarza

You need to turn the ignition to position 2, but don't start the car. Leave the key in this position for 1 hour. After that enter the correct code as the radio will have reset. So that you don't run down the battery you may want to turn off the climate control fan and any lights while doing this.

Kyle.

98 740iL 01 525i
Reply to
Kyle and Lori Greene

Actually - you can also simply drive around for an hour. The engine can be running or not - your choice. I'd rather go for a nice ride whilst waiting the hour.

Reply to
Don

Absolutely agreed. However, I don't think the key has to be turned quite that far (lights, fans, etc. all on). While I may be mistaken about newer cars, on my '88 535is, the first position past 'off' powers up the radio - and nothing else. It can sit in that position for hours with no risk to other components or to a good battery.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger