BMW's nothing but problems??? Really???

Page 2 of 5

pounding, real men only drive manuals, crowd.

Deja moo: the feeling that I've heard this bullshit before.
--
Dan.

Thanks for all the great feedback. After reviewing the messages here and research on the web, it appears that if I want to buy a the best (performance / comfort)used convertable the model to go with is the 330ci with sport package & SMG? Comments? Any thoughts on difference between buying 2001-2005. Are there years significantly better then others?
szguitar wrote:

Just as long as (yet once again) you realise that you won't be getting the full M-model SMG, but a cut-down 'economy' version. You'd probably be better off with the Steptronic.
szguitar wrote:

That's exactly the car I want (330 sport w/ hardtop and SMG).
SMGs *do* exist on 330's, but they're rare. I suspect I'll have to settle for a manual tranny, which is hard enough to find on a 330. I think over 90% of 330's have autos, while maybe 2% have SMGs.
I've looked *very* closely at M3s, but the reasons I prefer a 330 are:
1) I own an e36 M3 now, and the suspension is just too damned stiff for urban driving. If I lived out in the burbs where pavement is smoother, maybe. But in the busted asphalt of the city, a softer suspension is unquestionably easier to live with.
2) Mileage will be better on the 330.
3) Insurance will cost less on the 330.
4) The 0-60 times for the 330 are only 1 second slower than the M3 (6.2 vs 5.2, respectively).
5) A used e46 M3 costs about $15 thousand MORE than a used 330.
IMHO, the only attraction of the M3 is the greater likelihood of finding an SMG. But paying $15k more just for a SMG is nuts.
Randy

Then the market is sensible. Why do you want an auto that doesn't work well? The proper auto is fine for those that want such things, and those who want a manual buy just this. The SMG transmission does neither well.
--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I want an auto that shifts when I want it to, does not shift down when I don't want it to, and that does not slow down my car. SMGs do this. Automatics do not. The most advanced race cars use SMGs to get maximum performance: Formula, dragsters. etc. The SMG M3 is faster than the manual M3; probably this is true of the 330 too. Finally, for personal reasons, I probably should avoid using a clutch.
You argue that, if the masses like something, it must be good. If so, you should be driving a Toyota Camry.
Randy

But you're buying a street car? And not even the most powerful model in the range? Oh - most dragsters use torque convertor transmissions.

Is it?

But you said in your last post you'd probably end up with a manual. Do it - far more fun for a keen driver. And with skill you can also drive it smoothly at low speeds or when carrying passengers - something the SMG can't manage. All the gearchanges are rougher than a well driven manual.

I don't even know what one looks like. It's not common in the UK.
I like autos. And proper manuals. What I don't like is a poor compromise between them. Especially when people say they're used in F1 cars.
--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Randy wrote:

Yes, only one second longer, but that represents a 20% slower acceleration. That is something one can definitely feel in your "seat-of-the-pants" accelerometer.
--
-Fred W

Fred W wrote:

But how often do you engage the over thrusters? If it's only once a week, is that worth the extra $15,000?
To me, it's not. For half that money, I'd rather buy a REAL rocket sled (used) -- a superbike. IMHO, my bike is ten times the thrill of my M3.
Randy

Mmmmm. Over thrusters. Do I sense a Buckaroo Banzai aficionado?
--
Dan.

Dean Dark wrote:

To quote Sensei Smothers, "I see by your outfit you are a cowboy too."
Randy
Randy wrote:

I happen to agree with you, mostly (I own a Ducati). I just wanted to point out that "1 second" was not so insignificant. Also, you get a lot more than the "1 second" difference for the money. But the M3 is apparently not aimed at you as a buyer.
--
-Fred W

Fred W wrote:

That observation has interesting implications. If the M3 is not intended to appeal to a 40-something who gets his speed fix from a sport bike, then it seems to me that the M3 has a pretty small target audience -- (mostly) males (mostly) under 40 who are (mostly) willing to part with $60k to buy a new car that (mostly) doesn't outperform a significantly cheaper version of the same car. (Based on off-track performance figures from Road&Track road tests.)
Or is buying an M3 largely an ego/image/youngster thing?
I'm at that crossroads right now. Some time later this week, I'll buy either a used 330Ci sport w/ manual tranny or an M3 that costs about $15k more.
The M3 *is* red, it has the nav system, and SMG...
But $15k *is* $15k...
Randy
I finally found a BMW!!!. Like people have posted the SMG on a 330ci convertable is rare (didn't find one nationwide) so I settled for a 2004 330ci with 6 speed manual. After driving several 330's with steptronic there just was no comparison... So I searched the whole state of CA and found one in San Diego. 19k miles 6yr/100k warranty with Premium, Sport, Winter, HK, packages in showroom condition. The 6 hour drive home that normally takes 8 was awesome!!!
Thanks again to all with the great feedback...
Now the questions I have are:
1. What is the best online site to buy parts and products from? 2. Does it really make a difference washing the softtop and weather sealing with BMW products? 3. Where's the best place to get a removable hardtop?
TIA,
Dan

Best bet for washing is the Raggtopp cleaner, followed by treatment with the Raggtopp protectant. For the weather seals, GummiPflege is great, if you can find it.
Enjoy your convertible!
Tom K.
szguitar wrote:

Nice! Oddly enough, in the past week I bought a red 2002 M3 that's wired to the gills (SMG, navigation, etc). :-)
I suspect you made the right choice of transmission. The SMG takes some getting used to, and unless you're committed to having an automatic, the manual is probably more enjoyable. Compared to a manual tranny the SMG does feel a little disconnected. Maybe I just need to train it some more.
But gawd almighty the SMG is fast! No human can shift that quick. On a race course I'd take the SMG in a heartbeat.
And it is nice, as I answer my cell phone, to be able to shift the tranny from manual to auto mode...
1) I've found useful stuff at www.bavauto.com and www.pelicanparts.com.
2) No idea. I'd just use something better than Armor All. I need to do this too.
3) Ebay, probably. Do they make hardtops for the 330Ci? Seems like it'd be a damned heavy beast.
Randy
Yeah, I found quite a few M3's also but not 330ci convertables with a SMG tranny. I loved the M3, It was like riding my Yamaha R-6. I just thought for everyday driving it might get old. I take my R-6 on the track at 140+ MPH and ride it around town but I wouldn't want to ride it everyday a couple of hours. Plus, I couldn't afford the tickets. Which was the same for me between the M3 and 330ci. The 330ci doesn't have the initial acceleration of the M3 but it still has a great feel of the road with a more comfortable ride.
I've seen several 330ci convertibles on sale claiming they had the hardtop for it. Just, looked at ebay and none available. I'll double check with BMW.
Dan
On 20 Feb 2006 18:31:03 -0800, "szguitar"

    The tricky part about finding hardtops on eBay is they're frequently in the wrong categories. Someone with the username "fignewton52" is selling one in Imola Red as I write this, and it's listed in Parts & Accessories: Other. It's no reserve and starting price is $1500, which seems to be ballpark for one from what I've seen (I'm frequently browsing for a Sapphire Black top for the Z4, so run across others all the time).     epbrown -- 2003 BMW 325i Black/Black 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Jack Dotson wrote:

Oh, sorry. I missed the sarcasm... ;-)
--
-Fred W