BMW sedans vs coupes vs convertibles

Why do people buy BMW coupes (like me)? I don't understand. Is it because of stupidity? Convertibles have obvious advantages but are slower because they're heavier and they have less torsional rigidity. Sedans are of course bought for practical reasons. With the 5/7 series, it's more for show than for personal enjoyment. But why coupes?

Reply to
RichAsianKid

Why do you think people who buy 5/7 Series more "for show than for personal enjoyment?" Have you ever driven a 5/7 Series?

Reply to
bfd

I'm still trying to figure out what "obvious advantages" a convertible has, given all the *bad* things a drop top brings to what could otherwise have been a performance vehicle...

Reply to
daytripper

"bfd" wrote

Only his daddy's.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

I bought the 5er because it had slightly more interior room (primarily shoulder room, a bit more rear seat leg room) and its superior ride. The longer wheelbase made a big difference over our not-so-wonderful local roads. I was willing to sacrifice a couple tenths in acceleration and 1 or

2 hundredths in cornering G for these qualities. The car is an absolute joy to drive.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

I bought four 7 series because I am very tall, and even if I can fit in smaller cars, no one can sit behind me. I bought the first one because it was about the only car with ABS as standard at the time, although Ford brought out the 5 door Granada about the same time.

Lots of fresh air. You don't have to duck to get in.

OTOH there is less torsional stability, extra weight, poor security and sooner or later lots of wind noise...

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Coupes look better to some people. Plus they cost more than sedans, a desirable point for some especially when combined with the lower practicality (image thing).

Logically, you are quite right; for cars like BMW's coupes make zero sense vs. sedans. Logic does not rule, though, for many.

Reply to
Chuck U. Farley

I take that back....that reputation gloriously belong to Mercedes C-class drivers! I would not drive a 7 series - it's state of technology for sure but it's very fat and ponderous. Unless I'm in my retirement home years with a chauffeur. Even the 507 hp M5 is not a porsche turbo in a purist sense, but I think it excels in that it's like a decathlon athelete - at the end of the day when you add up all the variables in terms of ride, luxury, practicality, performance, it's an overall winner with one of the best engines on the planet, possibly the best.

Reply to
RichAsianKid

Yes I have driven a 5 - 530i - sat in a few 7s - it actually doesnt handle as badly as I thought....slightly less nimble than a 330Ci though.

Reply to
RichAsianKid

There you go! One thing that BMW does well is it makes the 5/7 Series feel like a small, nibble car. You "sat" in a 7 Series, try driving one. Yes, its not a Miata or a 330i, but drive a 750i, then try anything comparable from MB, Lexus, Acura, Audi/VW or any other mfr. You will notice a BIG difference.

Now if BMW could only do something about getting rid of iDrive, its NAV system (arguably the worst made), and runflat tires (give me a spare any day), and I would actually consider a new one!

Reply to
bfd

Because you can get away with it. You aren't married are you?

Reply to
Richard Sexton

You HAD to bring up the C(heap)-class didn't you. Swine.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

C(heap)-class, E(conomy)-class, or S(uper)-class, many think that unless it's an AMG-version, MB's are just not worth *driving*.

Besides, C(heap)-class drivers are hilarious! Once I saw a C240 basic model on the road. The guy removed the '0' and stuck an AMG label on the right side of the trunk!

Reply to
RichAsianKid

Why buy a wife when you can rent many girlfriends? (That's why no Z4 for me)

Reply to
RichAsianKid

Question - do those runflat tires really diminish/impair maneuverability/cornering/driving fun?

Reply to
RichAsianKid

Question - do those runflat tires really diminish/impair maneuverability/cornering/driving fun?

Reply to
RichAsianKid

No, BMW tunes its suspension to for the harshness of the runflats. But if you get a flat in an out of the way place, be prepared to either stay over night or pay some big bucks for a replacement. Sorry, but if I get a flat, I rather have a spare that I can change and be done with it.

Reply to
bfd

Someone is unclear on the concept of run-flats. It doesn't matter if you get lose air in an out of the way place, because you'll just keep driving. Most people can't tell the difference between a flat and an inflated tire with run-flats, which is why there's a tire pressure monitor to let you know. As for how they perform - they had a negative effect on my Z4's handling, which is why I swapped them for Goodyears. I don't think BMW had the hang of tuning the suspension for them - reports on the ride of the E90 3-series are much better, as well as the facelifted Z4s released this year Since I don't have a spare and no longer have run-flats, I added the BMW Mobility Kit to my Z4. With serious tire damage, I'm screwed. I'll take my chances - I've never had a flat tire. I read somewhere that only 5% of motorists ever have. epbrown

--

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to

Well they'd be wrong then wouldn't they? If I want to get somewhere fast I take the 633. If I'm picking somebod up from the airport I'll take a Mercedes. They're different cars for different purposes.

You mean like a non-so-hot 3 series model with an M badge like I saw yesterday?

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Hence the "kid" component in your userid :-)

All my coupes have front seats that recline to a fully horizontal position while the sedans don't. I figure that's so single guys can have sex in them.

Sedans are for hauling kids around.

Reply to
Richard Sexton