BMW sedans vs coupes vs convertibles

Page 1 of 2
Why do people buy BMW coupes (like me)? I don't understand. Is it because of stupidity? Convertibles have obvious advantages but are slower because they're heavier and they have less torsional rigidity.
Sedans are of course bought for practical reasons. With the 5/7 series, it's more for show than for personal enjoyment. But why coupes?

Why do you think people who buy 5/7 Series more "for show than for personal enjoyment?" Have you ever driven a 5/7 Series?

I'm still trying to figure out what "obvious advantages" a convertible has, given all the *bad* things a drop top brings to what could otherwise have been a performance vehicle...

I bought four 7 series because I am very tall, and even if I can fit in smaller cars, no one can sit behind me. I bought the first one because it was about the only car with ABS as standard at the time, although Ford brought out the 5 door Granada about the same time.

Lots of fresh air. You don't have to duck to get in.
OTOH there is less torsional stability, extra weight, poor security and sooner or later lots of wind noise...
The OP is correct - convertibles only seat 4, they rattle like hell, the top is a pain, driving top-down on freeways requires earplugs. But the cool factor is 5x a coupe, and 10x a sedan.
BTW my M3 convertible sticks to the road pretty well despite lower rigidity.
daytripper wrote:

My CLK Cab (first generation W208) does not, apparently, shake, rattle and roll. Even at 120 mph.
I have seen a journalists's comments to the effect that it is only one that doesn't.
DAS
"mcquarrie" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Only his daddy's.
FloydR
bfd wrote:

I take that back....that reputation gloriously belong to Mercedes C-class drivers! I would not drive a 7 series - it's state of technology for sure but it's very fat and ponderous. Unless I'm in my retirement home years with a chauffeur. Even the 507 hp M5 is not a porsche turbo in a purist sense, but I think it excels in that it's like a decathlon athelete - at the end of the day when you add up all the variables in terms of ride, luxury, practicality, performance, it's an overall winner with one of the best engines on the planet, possibly the best.

You HAD to bring up the C(heap)-class didn't you. Swine.
Richard Sexton wrote:

C(heap)-class, E(conomy)-class, or S(uper)-class, many think that unless it's an AMG-version, MB's are just not worth *driving*.
Besides, C(heap)-class drivers are hilarious! Once I saw a C240 basic model on the road. The guy removed the '0' and stuck an AMG label on the right side of the trunk!

Well they'd be wrong then wouldn't they? If I want to get somewhere fast I take the 633. If I'm picking somebod up from the airport I'll take a Mercedes. They're different cars for different purposes.

You mean like a non-so-hot 3 series model with an M badge like I saw yesterday?
On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 13:33:40 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

    Grr. I was behind a 325Ci yesterday that had his regular badge on the right and an M3 badge on the right of his trunk lid. The only M part on the car were the side mirrors...     epbrown -- 2003 BMW 325i Black/Black 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Richard Sexton wrote:

errr....not so fast
Once I went for a charity run-a-thon and had to whisk a few gals to the event. After the walk on our way back to my car (330Ci) one said, "I like your sports car. Is it a BMW or a Mercedes?"
(And just so there is no mistake, I humbly admit we're all Gen Y, so we're not talking about retirement home residents!)

It's pretty hard to mistake a 3-series for an S-class.
Or a c-class and a 7-series.
If you are not into cars much it is easy not to recognise the car brand or type. Heck, I once had someone in the front seat of a Merc saloon who asked my what the car was, despite the fairly visible upright star at the end of the bonnet.
I bet lots of people are like that.
DAS
"Richard Sexton" < snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net> wrote in message
news:e8ovqd$qfs$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de...
bfd wrote:

Yes I have driven a 5 - 530i - sat in a few 7s - it actually doesnt handle as badly as I thought....slightly less nimble than a 330Ci though.

series,
personal
There you go! One thing that BMW does well is it makes the 5/7 Series feel like a small, nibble car. You "sat" in a 7 Series, try driving one. Yes, its not a Miata or a 330i, but drive a 750i, then try anything comparable from MB, Lexus, Acura, Audi/VW or any other mfr. You will notice a BIG difference.
Now if BMW could only do something about getting rid of iDrive, its NAV system (arguably the worst made), and runflat tires (give me a spare any day), and I would actually consider a new one!
bfd wrote:

Question - do those runflat tires really diminish/impair maneuverability/cornering/driving fun?
bfd wrote:

Question - do those runflat tires really diminish/impair maneuverability/cornering/driving fun?

rigidity.
feel
its
from
No, BMW tunes its suspension to for the harshness of the runflats. But if you get a flat in an out of the way place, be prepared to either stay over night or pay some big bucks for a replacement. Sorry, but if I get a flat, I rather have a spare that I can change and be done with it.