BMW sedans vs coupes vs convertibles

Page 2 of 2

if you get lose air in an out of the way place, because you'll just keep driving. Most people can't tell the difference between a flat and an inflated tire with run-flats, which is why there's a tire pressure monitor to let you know.     As for how they perform - they had a negative effect on my Z4's handling, which is why I swapped them for Goodyears. I don't think BMW had the hang of tuning the suspension for them - reports on the ride of the E90 3-series are much better, as well as the facelifted Z4s released this year     Since I don't have a spare and no longer have run-flats, I added the BMW Mobility Kit to my Z4. With serious tire damage, I'm screwed. I'll take my chances - I've never had a flat tire. I read somewhere that only 5% of motorists ever have.     epbrown -- 2003 BMW 325i Black/Black 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
I bought the 5er because it had slightly more interior room (primarily shoulder room, a bit more rear seat leg room) and its superior ride. The longer wheelbase made a big difference over our not-so-wonderful local roads. I was willing to sacrifice a couple tenths in acceleration and 1 or 2 hundredths in cornering G for these qualities. The car is an absolute joy to drive.
R / John

Coupes look better to some people. Plus they cost more than sedans, a desirable point for some especially when combined with the lower practicality (image thing).
Logically, you are quite right; for cars like BMW's coupes make zero sense vs. sedans. Logic does not rule, though, for many.

I once owned at the same time a 91 325i coupe and a 91 325iX sedan.
The coupe was a great little sports car that happened to have some extra seats in the back. The iX was a very competent grocery-getter that handled the snow like a Polaris snowcat, but was about as much fun to drive as a Honda Civic.
Adding up the differences between the two cars, I decided the big factor in how they handled was weight. The coupe had a 5-speed and little extra on it except a leather interior. The iX had the weight of 1) an automatic transmission, 2) seat heaters, 3) a sunroof, 4) extra door hardware for the two extra doors, 5) the 4-wheel drive hardware, 6) the extra metal of a slightly squarer sedan roofline.
I have no idea what the real weight difference was between the two, but driving it, the iX always felt like I had 400 pounds of cement in the trunk. Since owning those two cars I've always looked for as light a BMW as I can find in the model I want. A coupe, to me, is a good starting point.
(As a point of reference, the current 330i Sedan weights 3417 pounds. The 330i coupe weights 3285. That's a difference of 132 pounds, all or mostly very high up, right where you don't want it.)
Alan Brooks
-- And all this calculation goes out the window when you're talking convertibles. Damn the extra weight, convertibles are just fun.
Alan Brooks wrote:

I would say that the bigger difference was outfitting your coupe with a manual gearbox vs. the slushbox in the sedan. All the difference in the world IMO...
--
-Fred W

Because you can get away with it. You aren't married are you?
Richard Sexton wrote:

Why buy a wife when you can rent many girlfriends? (That's why no Z4 for me)

Hence the "kid" component in your userid :-)
All my coupes have front seats that recline to a fully horizontal position while the sedans don't. I figure that's so single guys can have sex in them.
Sedans are for hauling kids around.
In my neck of the woods it's MLs, X-5s, Range Rovers, XC90s... :-)
DAS
"Richard Sexton" < snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net> wrote in message
news:e8lo35$vce$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de...
Richard Sexton wrote:

The E46 BMW coupes' seats only recline till ~160 degrees ;( which are enough I guess. But I also wish I could disable the lateral lumbar support - but on second thought - maybe not, makes it tight(er).... ;)