BMW SMG Gearbox

Page 2 of 2
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Dave, Dave, Dave... I have seen the light and I am enlightened. It's an auto with a degree of manual control. Its a manual with a degree of automatic control. It slices, it dices, it makes julienne fries. It's the Popiel Pocket Transmission...
By the way, regardless of what it is, I have no use for it.
--
-Fred W

I love driving true manual box cars where you need skill to change gear either fast or smoothly, and to know from the sound of the engine etc when a gear change is called for. And part of that enjoyment includes clutch control.
I also appreciate a well designed smooth changing auto.
That's why I don't like SMG transmissions. They nanny the driver and most seem to think flicking a lever is changing gear. They're wrong...
--
*Not all men are annoying. Some are dead.

Not any of the ones I've tried. I'd be ashamed of my gearchange and clutch skills if I changed as roughly when driving slowly.

I take it you don't understand the meaning of the word? Was the original GM Hydramatic from the '50s not an auto because it didn't have a TC? The various M-B boxes either? And how about CVTs? The original DAF had only forward neutral and reverse. Was that a manual too?

My feeling is some who buy SMG think they're buying a race car transmission which can't be therefore an auto. But if it is capable of changing gear on its own it is by *definition* an auto.
--
*Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Wow, you're an ass.

Well you tell me what automatic means. You do know that auto is short for automatic, I take it? Perhaps not though.
--
*Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It's not easy to duplicate the accelerometer in your butt, for example. Much less your brain.