"BMW takes X5 to new levels"

BMW takes X5 to new levels I believe the new X5 will not disappoint; in fact, it will surprise a current X5 owner and those new to BMW or the sport activity vehicle
category. at http://www.washtimes.com/autoweekend/20070103-112038-8730r.htm
As an owner of a 2004 X5 I can safely say I won't be buying the new model. Reliability has been a big problem with this car and I have experienced one issue after another. I also have a 2001 530i which has been superb, however BMW have ruined the 5 series by restyling it.
I plan on replacing my 530i with a Jaguar XKR in April and once the dealers have sorted the current problem (dodgy fuel gauge - it has run out of diesel twice now) with the X5 I will consider getting rid of that also. I doubt that I will be buying another BMW for a long time.
I agree...I had BMWs for 10 years but reliability has been a problem across all that I have owned..for my next car it will either be an Acura or Lexus..(less sport but more reliable)..
Milleniumaire wrote:

I've heard they are very unreliable, from someone who works at a jaguar dealer.
I thought you wanted a more reliable car. Certainly Jaguar isn't in that category. My brother-in-law's XKR practically lives in the dealer's garage. Sooooo many problems here and there. Like BMW's, one owns a Jaguar because of its style, heritage, performance, etc. - definitely not because it's reliable. :)

Looking at reviews etc on the web the Jaguar XKR gets a good rating for performance and reliability. I haven't managed to find any negative feedback. Having never owned a Jag I can't comment, but I certainly get the impression that since Ford took over things have improved dramatically.
It can't be any worse than a BMW for which I have lots of experience!
Our X5 goes back to the dealers today (for the 3rd time in 3 weeks) with a faulty fuel gauge, dead leds on the trip computer/radio and bolts left lying around on the back seat from when they last had the car.
Sorry to hear about your X5. I heard a lot of bad experiences about that car but based on your comment about bolts lying around the backseat - maybe it's time for a new shop. Check out some independent service centers too. Dealers (or should I say stealers) aren't necessarily the best shop you can bring your car for service.

My wife and I both prefer the old X5 over the new. The new one seems to float, even with the sport package, whereas in the old ones you were in touch with the road. The new one feels like a cadillac. With so much computer power in it, I hope someone figures out how to program it so it rides and feels like the old one.