BMW: The Ultimate (Occasionally) Driving Machine.

A lot of people have little or no respect for car dealerships. In fact, on the TTAC forums, I frequently hear the word "stealership" so much, that I'm herewith
petitioning the Oxford English Dictionary to officially put it in our lexicon. I recall the story of a friend on mine who had trouble with a [...] Read More: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/bmw-the-ultimate-occasionally-driving-machine /
----------------------------------- BMW NewsHub: Latest auto news sourced from websites, portals and blogs http://www.carshops247.co.uk/news/BMW.html

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/bmw-the-ultimate-occasionally-driving-machine /
No surprises there. I don't think I've ever had a service done at a main dealer without something being wrong with it.
One little example. Took my E39 to the supplying dealer for an oil service and for a leak from a power steering pipe to be fixed. Quite a bad leak - the engine and undertray had fluid on them. A quick glance showed it to be coming from the low pressure feed pipe from the reservoir - which has crimps fixing it rather than clips which could be tightened.
Went to collect the car and looked under the bonnet. The engine and undertray hadn't been cleaned, and the hose looked untouched. New crimps would be obvious. The hose itself was still wet with fluid too. I was charged 70 gbp for fixing this leak.
The oil filter body had a film of dirt on it too. Didn't look to me to have been touched. Checked the oil. Half way between min and max. On level ground. Didn't look new either.
Went back and talked to my 'service supervisor'. He immediately said they would only clean the engine etc if asked to as this would cost extra. Also said it was impossible the oil level was wrong as they used a machine which measured out the exact amount for each engine, so it was obvious I didn't know how to use the dipstick. Given I've been working on some of my own cars since before he was born, not the politest of things to imply. So out he came to the car, and I got him to show me the correct way to use a dipstick. ;-) He then blustered on about the engine being cold, and the level would be correct when it was hot...
He said the leak from the steering had been fixed and they'd charge a further 50 gbp to clean the engine.
My feeling is the car had not been near the workshop but merely cleaned.
--
*Husband and cat lost -- reward for cat

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 01:10:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

TTAC forums, I frequently hear the word "stealership" so much, that I'm herewith petitioning the Oxford English Dictionary to officially put it in our lexicon. I recall the story of a friend on mine who had trouble with a [...]

I guess the BMW dealership that I use must be an outlier. I've not had any issues with the service done on the car.