BMW why do they?

Page 1 of 2
Why do BMW limit thier cars to 155mph? Whats the point? Especally on the M5 and the M3? They would be even better if they were unlimited to do thier, IIRC 205mph?.

snipped-for-privacy@popstarz.org.uk wrote:

Is that also true in Europe? I thought they limited the speed limit in USA due to some federal traffic laws?

My understanding is that it has been a "gentleman's agreement", between BMW and Mercedes, along with Audi to a lesser extent. I don't actually remember the reasons but I suspect if they opened these cars up to their potential speeds the OMC cost for tires would escalate significantly. So I am not certain their agreement was not about the consumer as much as it was about limiting their costs for cars they knew weren't ever gonna be driven faster than that anyway. Most of these makers have gone above and beyond the limit in certain "special" models...Audi in particular with their RS and S models and Merc with some of their AMGs.
I believe each is still offering to program these limits out of your car, after your have taken possession of it, for a small fee and a number of signed waivers and disclaimers.
snipped-for-privacy@popstarz.org.uk wrote:

rated tires (168 mph).
Tom

Rarely if ever. Although BMW limits some of its US cars the 128 in anticipation of owners replacing their tires with lesser equipment.
R / John

That is not true - you've got it backward. Most BMWs in the US without the sport packages are limited to 128, because they come with H-rated tires from the factory. For instance my '01 330xi came with Conti Sport Contact 91H, and is limited to 128.
Floyd
It might be that they are trying to help you from smearing yourself across the road. 99% of drivers cannont handle a car over 100 mph. I've learned this at a few driving schools including Skip Barber. You may be able to drive you car in a strait line at 150 or so, and maybe even some light corners, but try and execute an emergency manuver or hit a pothole in the road at 100mph and its a whole different story.

... or have the motor blow.

My '94 325i with the Sport Package One came with 92V tires, and a 128 mph speed limit.
I don't think the tires have anything to do with the speed limit in the computer. Indeed, it appears to me that my car will reach the red line at about 145 (if there was no limiter), so I have to assume that an engine failure at that speed - both ground speed and engine speed - would be at best mildly problematic for most drivers, and at worst hugely problematic for everybody else that was anywhere nearby. I prefer to think that the limiter will keep the car well below redline at its maximum speed, and this is the only reason to have the limiter.
I can hear some moron now, "your honor, they never told me to not go that fast ..."
Jeff Strickland wrote:

No, that's what the rev limiter is for.

I suspect the rev limiter kicks in at 128 mph. Just a guess ...

It's called a gentleman's agreement between them and others and the German Government. If they and merc etc competed in top speed the government threatened a blanket top speed limit well below this.
--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

If this is accurate, and I am not implying it isn't, why is Porsche free to sell cars without this top speed limit, or Audi allowed to pay heed when they want and not when they don't want? Seems all this is doing is limiting Merc and BMW, but not lowering the possible speeds to be acheived on german roadways. What is it about porsche/Audi that the government decided wasn't pertinent to the high speed these cars are capable of?
my 1991 525i is stock and i have had it going about 145-150 mph no problem
Ross Garrett wrote:

This is a thread about speed limiting, not optimistic BMW speedometers.
--
*If God dropped acid, would he see people?

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:33:01 -0600, "Ross Garrett"

    It's definitely accurate - read *any* European car magazine and they'll mention it. Porsche is exempt because it's an exotic, and there won't be as many on the roads. Brabus, AMG, and other "tuner" cars aren't so limited because in Germany tuners have the same status as car-makers.     From what I've read, isn't the EU pushing for all the countries to go with the same top speed, slowing down Germany and Italy's roads? Thought I heard about that last year.     Emanuel
IIRC the speed limit in Italy is already 130 km/h.
It is only Germany that has sections of road without speed limit, and even here there is a recommended speed limit of 130 km/h.
DAS
"E Brown" < snipped-for-privacy@att.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
Uytkownik "Ross Garrett" wrote

All Audis are speed-limited as well, at least in the US. 130 mph for the A models, 155 mph for the S and RS models, IIRC.
Cheers,
Pete

John