BMW Z4 softtop problem

Hello!
I'm Italian and I have a BMW Z4 m.y. 2003. Two days ago the electric softtop has stopped working. When I press the button it only lift the front part of
the top from the windscreen but then the softtop stays still and I hear a strange noise from the back.
Asking one BMW technician he told me it probably depends on the rear softtop engine which has lost the oil and it has to be replaced: 15 days and 1500 EUR :(((
Does anybody hear of something similar? Even if the warranty is over, I think it's a well-known problem since the technician described it to me without ever seeing the car.
Thank you for your answers!
Bye!
Max