Body style termonology?

Touring, Cabriolet, Convertible, Saloon, Coupe, Sedan, Station Wagon, Roadster. Did I miss any?
Could someone cross-reference the European terms with the U.S. terms?
The only one I think I know is Cabriolet = Convertible. I think Touring may be Station Wagon but that's just a guess.
Thanks, G.S.
Add pictures here
✖

Touring        Station Wagon        Estate car
Cabriolet    convertible        soft-top
sedan        saloon
coupé        2 door hardtop sports
roadster        sports car        old style hot rod (32 Ford)
Sir Hugh of Bognor
--
I used to be an Egotistical Meglomaniac - but now I'm just perfect!

Hugh Gundersen
✖
Touring and Station Wagon is a good guess. Salon (not saloon, saloon is a bar) is the 4-door, which is the Sedan in the states. Cabriolet is a convertible, coupe is a 2-door, sedan and salon is a 4-door, and touring is a station wagon.

Add pictures here
✖
Not quite, Jeff. A sedan with a boot and bonnet is a "saloon". With a hood and trunk, it is a sedan. But a salon is something else entirely!
Tom K.

Add pictures here
✖
This is getting a little more complicated than I thought it would.
Is there an automotive difference between "Saloon" and "Salon" or is there a regional usage of both terms that mean the same thing?
Thanks, G.S.
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:45:00 -0400, "Tom K."

Add pictures here
✖

Saloon = Sedan (type of car) or Bar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saloon
Salon = Gathering (not a car) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salon_%28disambiguation%29
Tom K.
Add pictures here
✖

NO
A SEDAN is either a portable chair that one is carried on and thus is transposed to the US version of a mode of transport "SEDAN" or in the UK terminology "SALOON".
A SALON on the other hand is most commonly referred to as in "Hair Salon" meaning a hairdresser's shop or establishment or as someone else mentioned "a gathering" where women flock together to moan and chatter about nothing whilst having their hair cut, dyed, styled etc.
A man, on the other hand, simply has a "hair cut" and moans about some sport or other instead of talking some sense - but then it's the only time we get isn't - it? like sitting on the lavatory reading the paper or the latest magazine........
Hugh

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

✖
✖
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 20:21:07 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"

That reminds me of a joke that only works if spoken and even then only with Merkin pronunciation.
Why does a chicken coop only have two doors?
Because it if had four doors, it would be a chicken sedan.
<rimshot>
--
Dan.

Add pictures here
✖

In the US, the Touring (wagon) has now become a "Sports Wagon"
http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/3/328iSportsWagon /
Tom K.
Add pictures here
✖

Neither is a UK term. 'Touring' was sort of invented by BMW. A tourer is a convertible non sports car with usually more than two seats - rather like a 3 Series.
A station wagon in the UK is called an estate car. Which the lord of the estate might well send to meet a train. ;-)
--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain't bad

✖
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:32:14 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

For additional confusion, you could throw 'shooting brake' into the mix. I'm pretty sure that there isn't a US equivalent for that.
--
Dan.

Add pictures here
✖

Shooting brake? Is that for the gang bangers engaged in drive-by shootings?
Add pictures here
✖

Not much used these days.
Quite a good description of what they are here - to save my fingers. ;-)
<http://www.bestofthebest.co.uk/botb2/site/public/default.acds?instanceid 97761&context81944>
--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.

✖