Boot release button.

'94 525i saloon, sedan, whatever. Just before xmas the button got sticky. The plastic sleeve it slides in appears to be tight, stopping the button from moving freely. Bit of a pain,
as once depressed it's not that easy to pull it out again so the boot/trunk can be closed. I know I can free it by removing the lock, and trimming the sleeve, but is there an easier solution that doesn't entail stripping? TIA. Mike.
Mike G wrote:

One word: lubrication.
--
-Fred W

Thanks for the reply, but as I said, the plastic sleeve the button slides in is physically tight on the button. The button is very stiff to push the in, and pull out. Lubrication isn't going work in that situation, and I'm certain the stiffness is not in the lock itself. Can't understand what caused it as up until December it had been perfectly free since I baught the car 2 years ago. I can only assume that possibly something has shifted/slipped in the lock, causing the plastic sleeve diameter to be compressed. I can see no other reason why it should suddenly become tight, after presumably 11 years use. Mike.
Mike G wrote:

Try spraying some silicone spray lube in there while you are exercising the button. You may have gotten some dirt in between the metal button and the sleeve and the spray lube may help work that out.
--
-Fred W