brake lights always on

I have a '96 328I that just started having a problem with the brake lights. The brake lights constantly stay on regardless if any of the brakes are in use. The computer does not give any messages for errors. I have had the well known brake light circuit error in the past, but it was fixed with a new switch. Are the brake lights staying on a result of a faulty brake light switch or possibly something else?

Reply to
Scott

The lights themselves or the indicator on the dash? If it's the light's themselves, then yes, likely the switch. If it's the indicator, check the fluid level.

Reply to
JimV

There are two brake light switches on the brake pedal. It is possible that the other switch is now defective, or the new switch is broken. Either way, I think you are right to be looking at those switches.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Good call. If the light is the one on the dash, then the fluid or something in the system has gone awry. If the brake lights on the back of the car are on, then the trouble is one of the brake switches.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland