Brake pad worn, ABS light stays on. '96 BMW 318ti.

The ABS light is on when the pads were worn and reservoir is full. After replacing both front and rear pads the light is still on. There are two brake pad wear sensors. One is on the front right, the other is on
the rear right. The right sensor is slightly worn, or scraped by about 2-percent. (The Bentley manual suggest a new pad wear sensor if it's slightly worn.) I may replace the sensor.
I'd carefully reinstalled both used sensors but the light is still on. How do I locate the source of the ABS warning light?
Thanks

ABS warning light has nothing to do with the pad wear indicator. You've got a separate fault. Commonly, one of the ABS sensors.
--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *

The ABS light means the ABS system is inoperative, it does not mean that the brakes are worn or the reservior is low.
The most common cause of the ABS light is the speed sensors on the wheels. Actually, these sensors are the cheapest cause, perhaps not the most common cause. The most common cause (according to my mehcanic) is the valve body that modulates the brake pressure - this is also the most expensive cause.
The diagnostic tool will tell you what the trouble is.

Best to have a dealer read the codes. On some Volvo's the ABS light may come on because of a fault with a chip involving the side airbag.
Notwithstanding the other posts regarding the difference between ABS and the brake pad sensor, if the pad sensor has activated the wear light then the sensor has to be replaced, if refitted the brake wear light will stay on.

One is on the right front, the other is on the left rear, or vice versa. The sensors are located on diagonal corners, not on the same side. Having said that, these have NOTHING at all to do with the ABS light.
The right sensor is slightly worn, or scraped by about