Brake rotors - life expectancy

Page 1 of 2
Hi all,
Okay, I'm relatively new to BMW ownership but over the 3 or 4 months I've been listening in on this group I have read a number of posts concerning brake discs (rotors not pads) wearing out in 50/60k miles. Is
this typical, or am I picking up on something that might not really be the norm? I'm talking BMW models generally, of course.
To put this in perspective, my daily use vehicle is a 1996 LR Discovery which has 150k+ miles on the clock and which I've owned from new. The rear rotors are the originals and the fronts have been replaced once (under warranty) due to hairline cracking. This vehicle spends quite a bit of it's time off-tarmac - typically 15 miles per day, 3 or 4 days a week - because of my job and the brakes are, therefore, subjected to much more abuse than a normal road car. During an off-tarmac foray the brakes are often covered/submerged in muddy gloop but despite this even the pads last 45/50k.
I understand that compared to the Discovery (even with it's 3.9litre V8 engine) just about any BMW is a "performance" car but the LR is over 2 tonnes so stopping from almost any speed in a hurry needs considerable braking power.
I'd appreciate any comments from the members of this group on this subject.
--
Regards

Steve G

????
You are saying that rotors must be replaced with each brake job, but clearly most of us can go at least two brake jobs before changing rotors. Obviously, the life of a rotor is dependent upon on how hard one goes around mashing on the pedals, but careful and reasonable drivers can easily get upwards of two pad changes out of a rotor.

SteveG wrote:

Yes, this is somewhat typical, but of course depends on one's driving habits and how you use your brakes. General rule of thumb is that

The performance design of the BMW brakes is such that the rotors wear out rather quickly. You could put some harder aftermarket rotors and softer aftermarket pads, but then you would probably not get the same braking performance.
By the way, rotors are cheap (~$75 US per corner) and easy to replace, especially if taken on at the same time as the pads.
--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here:

50/60k sounds about right. But they only cost about 20-50 GBP a set depending on model and are easy to change. Unless you have the local $tealer fit them of course......

Yes - the fronts are likely to only last for two sets of pads.
However, OEM discs from Eurocarparts are pretty cheap and an easy DIY fit. Since they have wheel bolts rather than studs, and the disc goes on the outside of the hub, they don't seize in place. So an easy half day's work to replace the lot - front and back.
--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If you include 3 hours of 'Miller time' after the actual 1 hour job ... -- C.R. Krieger (BT, DT)

Well, Dave's in the UK so it might be Bass's Ale or a local pub brew... rather than piss Miller (or Bud/whatever).
Floyd
fbloogyudsr wrote:

It's a euphemism. We *use* Warsteiner or Sprecher or some other reputable brew if the opportunity presents. OTOH, Miller *was* Bobby Rahal's sponsor and they're a 'hometown' (Milwaukee) operation, so I gotta give 'em some credit for that once in awhile - at least if there's nothing good on tap.
*BUD*? Pffft! That's Earnhardt piss! -- C.R. (Who hardly ever even quaffs a beer.)

;-)
I haven't got the 6 car fully equipped garage/workshop you guys seem to have. So include the time taken to get the jacks from the cellar to the road, and tidy up afterwards.
Another smiley. ;-)
--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

How 'bout a floor jack and some fairly level (and firm!) gravel in the driveway? That's what I use. -- C.R. (Who hardly ever even quaffs a beer.)

So you can replace discs and pads front and back and adjust the handbrake properly in one hour?
Respect. ;-)
--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Well, lessee: twenty minutes or less up front and about twenty minutes per side in the rear. Yup. Pretty close. -- C.R. (Quicksilver Fingers)

You forgot to add in the two hour Miller time...
Floyd

Respect, dude.
--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

CLARIFICATION It's an easy half-day, not a half day, easy.
The hard part is setting the car on jack stands and taking the tires off.

I would be amazed if I got that kind of life out of my iX's rotors lol. I replace them approximately every 35 to 40k miles.
I once had a Grand Am company car, I burnt those rotors up in 25k.
-Russ.

Maybe, but off road driving requires gentle use of the brakes?
--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Oh yes, absolutely ... very gentle and judicious use of the brakes when in the soft stuff. It's not the actual use of the brakes when off-tarmac (note I don't say off-road because all of the tracks I drive are technically roads) but the abrasive nature of the clagg that envelopes the brakes whilst driving along. This acts like a very wet grinding paste ...
--
Regards

Steve G
SteveG wrote:

I doubt that muddy paste is any more abrasive than the semi-metallic compounds they use in modern brake pads. Probably less so by a good margin. Sometimes it just isn't all that intuitive... ;-)