break warning light

Hi I have a bmw 316 f reg and the warning light for the brakes is continually on even after having everything done to do with the brakes it has just past its m.o.t.yesterday, but as pointed out by the garage the
warning light needs to be sorted out so any help would be appreciated thanks.
TOP TEN SNOOKER
The warning light will either indicate low brake fluid level or worn out brake pads. I would assume you have checked the fluid level, so i would suspect that the brake warning indicators need replacing. the common problem when these warning indicators activate is that people change the brake pads but neglect to replace the wear indicators at the same time. The indicators work on a continuous circuit which, when the brake pads wear to the minimum level, breaks the circuit by breaking the wire. you then have no option but to replace the wear indicators. Steve.

Thanks very much that could well be the cause once I replace the wear indicators I will post then but I feel confident that's the problem once again thanks

Vivian Rosser wrote:

Just one point of clarification... these should be different lights. I have no idea what the hell an "F" reg is in Brit' speak (yes, I know it means a model year, just not which one) or I'd try to help you with the instrument panel indicator symbols. Check the light against the owners manual. In other words, RTFOM!
-Fred W
F registration is either 87 or 88 year

Vivian Rosser wrote:

If they replaced the brake wear sensors and the light is still on there could well be a broken wire in the wiring harness the wear sensor plugs into. So common a problem on E30s that BMW sells a replacement for that section of the harness.
Lemuel Johnson
worst case scenario - if you are sure all is working and safe, pull the bulb out!

Which would result in an annual inspection failure in many countries.
--
*A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click *

how would anyonew ever know???
London SW