broken air filter housing

Hi all,
I tried to fix a tear in my air filter housing, but instead fixing it, I accidentally made it bigger. So I put it back in the car and put the
tear together. Is this dangerous to the engine?
I'll look for its replacement in the wreckers this weekend, but if can't find the replacement, I hope it's ok.
My bimmer is 1990 318i and sorry if the explanation isn't good enough. English isn't my native.
Thanks.
Cheepy wrote:

It depends on where the breach is. If it is in the unfilered half of the airbox, then no, it will not make a big difference. But if the hole is located after where the air passes through the filter then, yes it is potentially hazardous to your engine to suck in unfiltered air over a long time period. It should be OK for a couple of days either way. JUst stay out of any dust storms... ;-)
--
-Fred W

And er try closing the gap with gaffer tape or similar.

Thanks for the replies guys... And I'll close the gap with something...