Buy 2005/06 M3 or wait until new model ?

I had a E36 M3 in the past and loved it. When I bought my 330cic in

2003 I wanted an M3 but was reluctant to purchase because of all the engine problems.

So I am think I could buy now and enjoy the car for 4 years or so and then upgrade to the new model once the bugs are worked out. The new v-8 will be nice but BMW does not have a good track record releasing new engines.

If I wait until the new model (2007) I would mostly hold off until at leest the 2009 model just to make sure everything has been worked out.

Reply to
redline

Why do people worry about stuff like this?

Drive them till they break and then have them fixed. Thats what warranties are for people!

Reply to
FlagshipOne

I wish it were that simple.

When the M3 started having engine problems, BMW denied there was an issue and a lot of people had to pay $18,000 to have their engines rebuilt. After months of fighting BMW reduced the cost to $6,000. Once a law suit was filed, they admitted the issue and started repairing engines and provided a 100,000 mile warranty on the rebuilt engines.

You may have a lot of cash and time to waste and spending 60k on a vehicle only to have it blow up may not seem like a big deal to you. However, I think yu will be in the minority.

Reply to
redline

Well, you held off on the E46 M3 until they "worked the bugs out" and now it has been superceded. Meanwhile, you could have bought one and been happily driving it with a 100k mile engine warranty.

If you hold out on the V8 (E90?) M3 for all the bugs to be worked out it will probably end up being superceded as well. All this holding out has to be tough... ;-)

Reply to
Malt_Hound

nbd. Buy a CPO M3 for a decent price - should come with the remaining extended engine warranty - and avoid the extra-super-duper-depreciation a new E46 M3 will take when the next model comes out...

Reply to
daytripper

That's the best idea I heard yet!

Reply to
redline

the only problem with that is the demand is always higher than supply on M's and there is NO extra-super-duper-depreciation it's not a Chrysler or Ford plus there is always a period when neither the old or the new are available when it comes to M's

snipped-for-privacy@canada.com

Reply to
330xi

I thought that demand was high as well. Between two local dealers, there are 10 new M3's and 5 CPO's that have been on the lots for several weeks now.

Reply to
redline

yup, we're seeing the same thing here. someone needs a reality check....

Reply to
daytripper

I have been considering an E46 M3 and now I hear of engine problems? What were the specific issues/problems? TIA

Reply to
sgfan3

Search for "engine recall m3" in alt.autos.bmw 2002/2003 models had engine issues.

Reply to
redline

I think they must be having trouble moving them. Last week I received in the mail a US$2,500.00 discount certificate from BMWNA to be used to purchase a new M3....

Reply to
Phil Robyn

I completely agree.....I will be in the minority......

to me a car is just something to drive.....they are not investments. I will be the first to admit that some are more to drive than others which is why I buy BMW's but I buy what I like not because of the long term 'investment' the vehicle may have.

Honestly, if you have to worry about it all the time you shouldnt be buying that type of car.

Reply to
FlagshipOne