buying a 98 528i...how do the plastic water pumps look like? and other things..

Looking to buy this car, but I want to be sure of it. What should I look for besides common water bump and belts aswell as suspension and oil leaks around engine? Going to have the tranny checked out also.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gus
gmontoya wrote:

The '98 came with a metal-impeller water pump right from the factory.

Check the HVAC works properly. Including the aux electric fan which should run when the AC is on.
Check for wheel shimmy at around 60 mph.
Look for oil leaks around the power steering reservoir.
There's not a problem with water pumps or belts. Or the auto transmission.
--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 00:49:31 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
Hi Dave,
What exactly is "wheel shimmy" and how does it manifest?
Many thanks
--

Shevek

Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
most important thing on my list was checking to see if the Nikasil block had been replaced.

If it's a US car, the E39 sixes didn't have nikasil blocks.
--
*Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life *

Further, the nikasil V8 issue was resolved by 1997, so NO 1998 V8 would have had that problem!
Further, the nikasil V8 issue was resolved by 1997, so NO 1998 V8 would have had that problem!
bfd wrote:

and since no 528's had a V8 anyway...
--
-Fred W

A vibration and movement felt through the steering wheel - possibly worse when braking. Feels like warped discs.
--
*Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?"

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:00:57 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Ah, I have exactly that. Very slight if at all when accelerating through 60 but braking from 70 down through 60 its very noticeable.
So what can I do about it...?
Have so far re-balanced the wheels and my next move was going to be tracking then investigate the discs (in order of expense!)
TIA