Buying a used BMW.

I am out for another car. I have a Volvo 740 GLE non-Turbo and I really love it but it is a SW and I need another smaller car.
Is there any year and model recommendation for a BMW that is
relatively for the average mechanically savvy person to work on and for would still not cost a fortune to own?

You don't say what country you are in, what your price range is, what "smaller" means, and a lot of other stuff.
IMO, other than brakes, cooling system and suspension, no modern BMW is easy for *ANY* person to work on, as they all require a $50K computer diagnostic console.
BTW, what does "SW" stand for?
FloydR

station wagon

BMW-speak is "Touring".
FloydR
Floyd Rogers wrote:

I prefer to tour in a sedan, a coupe or (god forbid) on 2 wheels.
--
-Fred W

Actually, that's "Sports Wagon" in current BMW speak.
Tom K.

Diagnostics simply make diagnosing a fault quicker. And I've got a Peak Research reader for mine which cost about $150 and gives most codes. But I've only really used it once - to confirm my diagnosis of a faulty crank position sensor.
--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m