Buying a used BMW from a dealer - benefits?

I've never bought a used car before, but now I'm in the market. I live in NY and many local dealers carry used BMWs. What are the benefits of buying a used one from a dealer despite its higher price?

Reply to
Jonathan Fidelis

"Jonathan Fidelis" wrote

Mostly warranty. You get an extended factory warranty and maintenance, and the opportunity to buy an extended warranty at reduced price through the dealer. YMMV, but extended warranties are generally a rip-off.

FloydR

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

None. They are required by law to give some sort of minimal warranty, like 3 days or something... but in reality you don't get much for the added cost. That is unless youi are buying a certified pre-owned BMW in which case there are some nice warranty features.

Living in the rust zone (as do I), you may want to consider doing some long distance shopping, especially if you are looking for anything more than a few years old. Used cars from down south are the way to go IMO.

Reply to
Fred W

Used cars from down south are the way to go IMO.

Except for maybe a few examples from the New Orleans area.

Kyle.

98 740iL 01 525i
Reply to
Kyle and Lori Greene

In some states, like Washington and California, the advantage to buying from a dealer is that the car has to meet a state mandated checklist for resale. A dealer that does not want to put money into getting a car to pass the checklist will just auction it off.

Reply to
Devils944S2